Need Vehicle Advice !

We have a 2012 ford escape also. We use it for hunting way more than our truck anymore. Truck only goes when the snow gets deep or we take our trailer. It gets around in the mountains great! It turns around on a dime and we put a set of tsr tires on it for extra traction. Seats fold down flat in the back making room for lots of gear. We carry a big plastic tote for meat in case we make a kill. Seems we always have to bone out meat and backpack to the car anyways so the tote works well. Not lucky enough to shoot them from the road. She gets 25 mpg in town and we average between 28-31 mpg on highway hunting trips. We have the V6 motor also. Good power, just a great little car. I haven't towed anything with it yet.

Sage, that's what I have, mine will get 20 if you drive 55 and REALY nicely. Pulling boat or camper or both it's anywhere from 8-13 down the interstate at 75. I've found most diesel truck owners are like most fishermen,... they tell a good story :) To the OP, I wouldn't recommend a big diesel, unless you need it for pulling, the high $ fuel, etc. isn't worth it IMO.

Mine gets the best mileage at 75-85 mph, but I don't get to drive too much at that speed. My last tank was 19.8 mpg with mixed uphill, downhill, city and highway. Pulling my Ranger Z521, I get 14-18 depending on how much uphill I have and I drive 70 mph where I can, 12 mpg against a head wind and lots of uphill. City is the worst. Starting from a dead stop is a mileage buster.

I have a '13 FX4 F150 with ecoboost, average 17-18 in mix driving, and have seen 23-24 highway not towing anything and keeping the speed between 65-70. With a tune and bolt on parts I've heard of 10-15% increase in power and mileage. Just gotta keep the foot off the floor board!

Also have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, cruise set at 70 I get 15-16 highway with a mild lift, and 34" mud terrain tires. If you keep the tires more all terrain friendly and around 33" you might get a bit better. Also in 2012 with the new motor I've read many claims of factory stock jeeps getting 19-20 on the highway.

We can suggest tons of rides to you, but knowing budget and terrain you will be in it is hard to narrow it down for you.

^^^This is what I wa thinking. I would not count out something with the EcoBoost V6 in it. It may not be what you are looking for but I would check into it. I just drove one a couple of days and really enjoyed it.

We use our three Suburbans for everything , but to go smaller , the GMC Acadia is one to consider. 288 hp. 17to 24 mpg, and functional. Bozeman is crawling with them so folks may be having good luck with them.

We had an escape as well, it was a great little suv. I put some decent tires on it, and it'd go places my half ton would never go.

Due to a growing family, we now have a '13 Durango, awd with the v6. Gets 21-22 around town, 25 on the highway. Rated to tow 6200 I think, but we haven't pulled anything yet. Front bumper only has about 8" of ground clearance though, so no serious off road capability there.

The rams with this engine do about the same mileage wise.

My '07 Honda Ridgeline (83,000 miles) will tow 5000# gets ~20 mpg (w/o tow), has s small bed and a hidden trunk. AWD with a rear lockout when you need it. Not good 'off road' but rides like a car and handles graded dirt fine. Too bad it looks like a soccer mom truck ;-P

That's a nice website about MPG's. After we move next month, I'm gonna start vehicle shopping. Keep the suggestions coming.

Any of u MN / WI guys....I have a '92 Chevy Silverado ext cab 4x4 w a topper for sale. Near mint condition. New engine, transmission, gas lines & fuel tank etc. Everything works except AC & emergency brake. Tires are good, almost no rust. 1 owner. Nice looking truck w chrome accent. PM me for more info.

Our ride is a 2013 F150 Quad Cab Ecoboost Max Tow. With that said the Max Tow is rated for 11,200lbs,of towing capacity and trust me it will do it. 373 running gears, extra transmission cooler, and a heavier suspension in the rear end. My wife drives it back and forth to work everyday and it averages 18mpg. Good fuel mileage and lots of power.

Attachments

• Snap 2014-03-01 at 18.07.38.jpg
    Snap 2014-03-01 at 18.07.38.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 37
Back