Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need some walleye and crappie advice

Here’s some rocks on a big point. I scanned the entire point, put waypoints (the black dots on the map) where the best rocks were. I then got upwind of the best pile and casted a jig and plastic to them for smallmouth. Caught one on 2nd and 4th cast :) so, ya, if you can afford it get side imaging. If not u can do the same thing with Down
Imaging, you just have to cover it 20’ at a time instead of 125’ out each side of the boat at a time = 250’ swath.

Attachments

• E2549164-C449-4E61-A073-CAF4512B1041.jpeg
    E2549164-C449-4E61-A073-CAF4512B1041.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 004E8929-8525-4F8F-9DED-83DF719CB40B.jpeg
    004E8929-8525-4F8F-9DED-83DF719CB40B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
Side imaging with Humminbird. Fish are white spots that were only on the left side of the boat, no reason to cast out the right side. This picture is taken while the boat was moving 3.9 mph searching sand flats for walleyes. It’s like cheating when you find them !
Wow, that’s super cool! I’ll deffinitly have to look into getting something like that! Thanks for the advice!

The technology in fish finders these days is crazy. I got a pretty good lowrance and I'm slowly figuring it out when I get time.

Been a while since I've looked at electronics. Googled helix 10, omfg!!! That display is amazing
Yep. Totally worth it. The extra pixels of the 10" screen and MEGA imaging is awesome. There are almost too many features, it's easy to forget what all the options are! I followed the installation instructions and eyeballed "level" for the transducer based on the scum line on my boat (gotta wash and wax :oops:) and the images were crystal clear the first time I used it. Might have to adjust it a little once I get used to it, but not by much.

To me the classic crappie rig is a minnow under a slip bobber. They really like to hang around wood; sunken trees, brush piles, beaver lodges, etc. In absence of wood, try reed beds, cattail edges, etc.
When you see surface temps around 62F, look for them in these type of structure, real shallow.

I've caught more walleye on simple lead head jigs with a twister tail jigging bottom, and / or a Lindy rig, drifting and dragging bottom. Bait the hook with a leech, minnow or crawler. Walley seem to be pretty light sensitive so don't tend to bite some well on clear days with full sunlight. Overcast days, dawn, dusk and after dark are better.

Back