Need some help with Judging Sheep

Sawtooth

Alright all you bighorn sheep hunting experts. My buddy drew a Rocky Mt. Bighorn tag this year and neither of us have experience in judging sheep. What are some things that we should look for to help us find a mature ram, while looking through a spotting scope from a distance? If you have some pictures of rams and what they scored that would be helpful. My buddy is not trying to make the "Book" or anything, but we also don't want to bust our tails getting to a sheep that we later find to be a youngster. @Oak , @Bambistew , and the rest of the sheep crew any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am NO expert but this is what I read and was told. A buddy got a sheep tag here in Montana and I helped him fill his tag. He got a nice ram.
What to look for: Horns drop down below the jaw. Tips come up to or above the nose from the side, unless they are really groomed, but can still have this length if heavily broomed so the horns will be thicker out on the ends. Here is my buddies ram which just went book at 181 2/8. I am not recalling exact measurements but he was about 15 1/2" at the base, right at 40+ inches on the long horn and only a tad shorter on the other horn. Kept his mass fairly well out on the horn. Horns came below the jaw.
1591825091161.png

Next one is a 200 7/8 ram taken in Montana. HE is almost 46" on one side, 49" on the other. little over 15" bases. Huge ram.
1591825354772.png

Good luck on the hunt. Take a ride to the Bison Range and look at some rams, or maybe over by the Missouri Breaks. What area is his tag for?? Got scout there. Never to early to start looking. Look at lots of pictures on the internet and such. The Boone & Crockett web site can help with pictures too.

Like others, I am not an expert AT ALL. I did go on one hunt with friend where he was successful. We looked for the horns to drop below the jaw, like 6mm said. Also, I heard as a general rule, a mature ram it looks like you should be able to fit a volleyball in the curl. Obviously, needs to be a full curl, marked by drawing imaginary line from base of horn through eye to horn. Good luck- it's an amazing hunt!

Like any mature animal, rams will have swayed backs, and their neck and shoulders will be burlier. I'm no expert on BH rams, but I'd surely be looking at mass in last 1/4 and age best I could. If the bottom 1/4 isn't as big as your wrist, I'd keep looking. Older rams tend to be broomed off more. The ridges and folds along the front edge of the horn will be more pronounced on an older ram since the horn is longer, it will make the horns look bigger/darker. Young rams bottom 1/2-1/4 will look smooth/thin, until they broom it off.

Old rams walk funny, they are not as graceful as younger rams if that makes sense, more stiff legged. Its pretty easy to tell a mature ram at longer range just by the way they walk, along with their barrel chest. The youngsters just walk different.

When looking at one head on, if the tips don't turn up and/or and out, keep looking. From the side tips should be at least past the jaw if broomed or to the bridge depending on how much they are broomed.

Score can be really tough because mass makes up so much of the score, and the head can be proportional in size, meaning a 170" ram can look huge if he's small bodied. Mature rams will be 36ish inches to low 40s long, but the bases can be tough to tell if they are 15 or 17 depending on the size of their head. The shape of the horn can also play into circumference, some have triangular shaped bases and look bigger than they are, some are more round, the round ones will be bigger...

Most importantly have fun, don't put a bunch of pressure on the hunt to kill the biggest baddest ram. Have fun and take the one that makes you (or your buddy) happy.

These are Native Wyoming Rams not the giant freak Montana rams. This First Ram Went 149 notice the tight curl. Not much Length or weight. Side note -This guy drew a goat tag the same year and killed a sheep and goat in two days

IMG_1153.PNGIMG_1154.PNG
This Ram went 164 i believe. Good length carries weight decently. Notice his horns drop below his jaw like a few of these other guys are saying
IMG_0197.PNGIMG_0199.PNGIMG_0198.PNG
This Ram went 153. Notice he is broomed way back. Had good weight but length hurt him. This guys last day ram on a ten day hunt.
IMG_0037.PNG
This Ram went 174. Good length carries weight really well (Hard to see in the pictures) broomed heavy, horns drop below the jaw.

IMG_0040.PNGIMG_0041.PNG

I have selected these sheep because they show you rams that range from 145-175. Hopefully this helps and I hope you guys get one!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0199.PNG
    IMG_0199.PNG
    120.4 KB · Views: 3
I agree with what Bambi wrote. Another important thing to consider is what the area you're hunting produces. In some areas a 170" ram is outstanding. Don't set your sights on something that doesn't exist.
Most importantly have fun, don't put a bunch of pressure on the hunt to kill the biggest baddest ram. Have fun and take the one that makes you (or your buddy) happy.
I really agree with this part. You're buddy should shoot the ram that gives him that funny feeling, and don't be worried about what anyone thinks.

The attached article might be of some help.

Attachments

• BighornSheepScoring.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Look at lots of pictures and sheep on the hoof if you can. Your buddy will probably like the certain looks of horn shape and color of the ram that he is just drawn to. Tell him to shoot the one, no matter what the size (legal of course), that just stirs his heart and imagination. Looking at lots of pictures really helps. I have looked at some pictures of rams taken that were in the 175 range that were way more beautiful than a 200" giant that's so ugly it's amazing he finds girlfriends in the rut. Size does not matter!

Where is the tag for? I often find that the “where“ has a lot to do with the “how“ I go about judging sheep.

This seems to be supported by the comparison above between the Wyoming natives and the Montana freaks. Great ram pics btw millerpaul!

Great help guys. Don't worry about us having fun or feeling the pressure to shoot a monster. We still have two weeks before our first scouting trip and just the research and learning about the animal has been a kick in the pants. The pictures you guys have shown us really help get an idea of what we are looking for. No way will we be holding out for something like the monsters they get in Montana. Idaho has some nice rams, but the biggest we have heard come out of our zone so far is in the mid 160's.

Where is the tag for? I often find that the “where“ has a lot to do with the “how“ I go about judging sheep.

This seems to be supported by the comparison above between the Wyoming natives and the Montana freaks. Great ram pics btw millerpaul!
Tag is in Idaho 28.

Last edited:
Couple other questions. Are sheep more nocturnal or should we be looking for them to be feeding mid day? Also we have heard that if you are seeing ewes and lambs you are probably in the wrong location unless they are in the rut. Is this true for the most part, as I know there are always exceptions to the rule.

Couple other questions. Are sheep more nocturnal or should we be looking for them to be feeding mid day? Also we have heard that if you are seeing ewes and lambs you are probably in the wrong location unless they are in the rut. Is this true for the most part, as I know there are always exceptions to the rule.
My limited experience is that sheep will move at night, but usually not far. They will be up and feeding first thing in the morning, then will periodically feed and bed throughout the day. I have seen rams and ewes/lambs using the same areas, but they are usually not together. They might be just a few hundred yards apart, though. I've found ewes and lambs in a basin one day, and a band of rams in the same spot two days later.

There's been some good advice given here. I'm not an expert either but I did spend a lot of time last year looking at sheep. I think finding out what is the average in your unit will really help you understand what you're looking for. If you can find out what the average base measurements are that will definitely help because you're more than likely probably in the 14-15 inch range rather than 16+. Like other said it's really hard not to have a ton of pressure on you. when you find one that turns your crank that's the one I would shoot regardless of what others say

I've watched rams in 28 from the 27 side of the river.....There are 180" rams in there, but they are not common

If I had the tag, and found a mature ram, I'd kill it. I wouldn't care if scored 150" or 180".

I got all knotted up on a legitimate 180+ ram in 27 years ago, and as a result, passed a couple rams that I should have killed.

I'm envious! Move less, glass more, don't ever try to bump or push a ram out to the shooter. Sheep do not take the path of least resistance like deer and elk. :)

Mature rams are easy to see, even at long distance. Body size and shape and if they are less than a mile, they look like they have a tire hanging on their head. At long distance it looks like a bowling ball for a head.

You will know it when you see it, there is no doubt!

Early October of 2019, myself and a tag holder found ourselves perched above two mature rams.

They knew something was up and I had about 15 seconds to decide which was the better ram, while the tag holder got set up for the shot.

In 15 hurried seconds I could tell no difference, both were great, mature rams for this unit. He rifled the one that gave a broadside angle vs a quartering away.

The ram measured low 170's and was aged at 12+.

Enjoy the hunt!

Attachments

• IMG_0466 (2).JPG
    IMG_0466 (2).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
The majority of the rams I have spotted has been early morning and late afternoon but I have found and got sheep killed at high noon. Depending on the weather like anything else they may stay out later in the morning and come out earlier when its cold. It's hard saying because I have seen sheep up at feeding at noon before. The sheep I hunted really liked the timber so they spent a lot of times in the timber so we would set spotters on timber pockets and pick them apart.

In my experience if I was finding ewes and lambs that didn't mean I was in the wrong area that usually told me I was looking to high. But I have seen rams up high, way down low, and in between. So if you find ewes and lambs don't leave the area that doesn't mean rams aren't there. That's just my experience im sure there are guys on here who have a lot more experience than I do.

Find out what the unit produces: what is an average ram and what would be considered outstanding for that unit. How much time do you have? Will you have a chance to scout? Are you willing to go home without a ram in hopes of shooting something above average. Do you think you will ever get a sheep tag again? Lots of questions. Hopefully you will get a chance to look at numerous mature rams. If so, shoot the one you like the best.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back