Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Need some help with fine tuning

okie_hotrod

My dad and I are heading to southern Colorado for 2nd Season OTC rifle. I called Colorado's hunt planner helpline and the guy gave me a general area, about 3 units worth, to look into. He also mentioned that the elk will probably be in the thick high stuff that time of year. I'm not asking for someone honey hole obviously and I'd rather not disclose the area, though I'm willing to discuss it with people that hunt it regularly or in the archery season through PM's.

My main question is am I being spoonfed a bunch of nonsense? And if I'm not, what approach would help me locate elk in the higher altitudes without getting busted? This is our first elk hunt so the learning curve is gonna be steep but we're not afraid of walking, climbing, and hopefully packing a few miles to get us an elk or 2.

Here’s my .02 cents.

1. You need to think about the time of year. 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Rifle is Oct 20-28 so Post Rut and should be thinking sanctuary for Bulls. In many states Elk are in higher elevations and then move down to private as the season progresses to get away from hunting pressure. So the hunt planner is probably right that bulls will be in higher summer ranges. Most sanctuary’s are in nasty places so when he says thick he is probably right.
  2. I would look to see if there have been any fires in the units. Then find a good glassing spot in it or overlooking the burns. Ideally these spots will be 1-2 miles from roads.
  3. Most likely you’ll spot them feeding at day break or just before night fall then they’ll bed down during day. Once you find elk you’ll need to play thermals. Depends on when you spot the bull you want to take. You’ll need a windchecker, and make an approach either level with them or come from above or below depending on time of day.
  4. You need to watch the youtube videos Randy provides. Lots of good stuff in there that will help guide you further.

Much appreciated, we're taking a scouting trip in June to get an idea of what the area looks like and see if we can spot any bulls before the rut gets them fired up. With it being late October I'd almost expect there to be snow so that's why I was curious.

I hunted elk in idaho for the first time in 2015 rifle it was late october i never heard a single bugle there all trying to hide i guess at that point there was alot of hunters on atv and in trucks trying to drive what ever roads they can im from hawaii im 36 amd bin hunting since 12 i consider my self a good hunter amd tracker we get alot of practice here cause we can hunt all year round any way on my hunt i got lucky and found a nice bull with about 20 elk and what u did was i got away from the roads and traffic until i couldnt hear it they where riggt below the tree line really close to therr shelter i first found the tracks there on day one and i kept going back to the same spot and on day 3 there they where my advice get away from noise and find there shelter and hopfully ull find the elk thats what i did this year im going to colorado with my dad and son also if u need some hunting partners pm me

Much appreciated, we're taking a scouting trip in June to get an idea of what the area looks like and see if we can spot any bulls before the rut gets them fired up. With it being late October I'd almost expect there to be snow so that's why I was curious.

A scouting trip is always good, but when you go that early focus on roads and access to all your glassing spots. It's always fun to spot bulls but note that early before the season they will probably be in a different spot in October.

Have fun and good luck

You mentioned you're interested in Southern Colorado, and 3 GMU's were suggested. When you just mention "Southern Colorado", that describes all the country between I-25 to the Utah border, so you'd have to be a bit more specific regarding where you're thinking of going.
I live in the mountains of Southcentral Colorado, in GMU 80. I also know a few things about nearby GMU's as well. If you want to PM me with some details, perhaps I could be of assistance? Or not???

Have packstring, will travel....

My 2 cents:
1. You are picking the hardest time to hunt for Elk as your first Elk Hunt. Lots of hunting pressure with less chances of success. There are a few other units in Northwest CO with almost 100% chances of getting a first rifle season tag with zero points even for a nonresident and much higher chances of success.

2. Scouting trip will be nice to get familiar with the area but just like other hunters already stated, the Elk will be at different locations from Jun to OCT. First you need to pick a unit soon if you are planning on submitting an application for first rifle season unless you are going to stay with over the counter tag for 2nd or 3rd season.

3. We hunted GMU 80 and 81 during 2nd rifle season before and lots of people with no luck for us for 3 years. Hence, we moved to more northwestern units.

4. Watch lots of Randy’s videos via Youtube and Amazon Prime.

Good Luck and enjoy the research. Lots of hunters who can help around here!!

VR – ColoradoHunter719

My dad pitched the idea to me earlier today of taking some of his more experienced trail horses to pack in and out in an attempt to hunt deeper in the backcountry. My question is whether or not it would be practical and is there any advantage to having a base camp a mile or 2 from the trail if it means having to look after horses. My father-in-law plans to join us on the trip but not as a hunter so we would have someone to tend camp. Thoughts?

My dad pitched the idea to me earlier today of taking some of his more experienced trail horses to pack in and out in an attempt to hunt deeper in the backcountry. My question is whether or not it would be practical and is there any advantage to having a base camp a mile or 2 from the trail if it means having to look after horses. My father-in-law plans to join us on the trip but not as a hunter so we would have someone to tend camp. Thoughts?
Can't see that being worth it. A mile or two is a half hour brisk walk unless it's a deadfall jungle, in which case you're not going to push horses through it anyway.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back