Need some advice on a party hunt.

A.J.

A few buddies and I are wanting to start an annual Antelope hunting trip. I need some advice from you veteran goat hunters. Are there places where there's decent numbers of animals where we can simply buy our tags over the counter so we wouldn't have to worry about the luck of the draw? It doesn't have to be a major trophy producing area as long as there's plenty of land to hunt on and a fair amount of game. If there IS a place we can buy our tags over-the-counter, could you also recommend a more quality hunting area that's drawing only, but we would still stand a good chance of drawing to? I figured we could put in for the drawing, then have the over-the-counter area as a "Plan B". I live in Oklahoma, so New Mexico is right next door, but we wouldn't mind traveling to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, or wherever. BTW...I'm planning for next year.

The only OTC tags I am aware of are archery tags. If you want to make this an annual trip, your best bet will be easy to draw areas in Wyoming. There have been a few threads on this subject recently if you search back through the Pronghorn forum.

There are over the counter tags in Eastern Wyoming, but come with some cash to buy access to ranches, or expect to fight crowds on the limited public land. If you go the week after the opener your success and the pressure on public lands will be far better.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been poking around this site, and looking at Wyoming, there seems to be plenty of areas with a 100% draw. I guess I just need to do some homework on which area would suit our needs for having plenty of goats to chase and access. As Sreekers pointed out WHEN to go is every bit as important as WHEN to go. Thanks again...There seems to be a lot of valuable experience in this forum, so I'll be lurking around...aj

AJ...welcome to the forum...its a great place.

I'm curious guys...what kinda cash do the ranchers expect out in WY to hunt pronghorn on thier lands?

My group pays $150 a day each for a place to sleep, 2 meals and access to an atv if needed.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back