Need rifle for my son

Livnthegoodlife

My 12 year old son just finished hunter's safety education and I am looking to get a rifle so you can hunt this next year with me. I am thinking a .243 youth model as I have 2 other boys as well. I used a lever action 30-30 when I first started and it also seemed to work just fine but was a little slow.

We will be hunting deer/antelope/coyote with it. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I use a .270 but think it would be too much power for him to handle plus I do not want to go broke getting a gun.

I have a Remington Model Seven Stainless/Synthetic in a .243 that I bought for my son in August 2002. It has a new Leupold 3x9 scope on it. It is a great gun and in perfect shape. I did have the trigger set to 3 lbs.

My son used it for three seasons, shooting many antelope and deer with it. He has grown out of it and now shoots my .300 Win or the .270. With three sons, you will probably get more use out of it than he did.

I have not really thought about what I would sell it for, but PM me if you are interested.

Since you live in SD and me in MT, it may be something that is of interest to you.

My ol man got me a 243 when I turned 12... Rem 700ADL. It killed probably 20-25 deer, half again as many antelope, god knows how many other critters and a couple elk... I since rebarreled it to 260rem and its still killing critters.

IMO there isn't a whole lot of diffrence between the 243 and 260 or even 7-08 as far as recoil goes, but you'll gain a considerable amount of bullet weight and you'll increase the 'fudge factor' a little. Not that I don't think the 243 isn't adequate for deer however. I've seen more than a few mature whitetail bucks stick thier nose in the dirt upon bullet impact!

In my opinion Id go with a 7mm08. Started my g/friend out hunting a couple years ago. She was so nervous to shoot a gun because of recoil...I had the 243 and 7mm08 for her to shoot...Not a whole lot of difference between the 2. Plus with the 08 you've got the added power...Just my opinion

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back