Caribou Gear Tarp

Need recommendations for a new 3 person, 3 season, backpacking tent

Irrelevant

I searched through some of the older posts on here and saw a lot of recommendations, unfortunately I personally have had several of the recommended tents and they're definitely not what they're cracked up to be. It's almost like people only backpack in nice weather or something...

Here's the deal, I'm tired of getting wet. Unlike what appears to be most backpackers, I end up backpacking in the rain. I've had several different models, from different manufacturers, all with two crossing poles and a small third one in the middle to hold the sides taunt. Where that pole makes contact with the rain fly creates a drip point for condensation, spend long enough in really wet weather and condensation management becomes a very big deal. Having spent several days this last year in really really wet conditions, I want a tent that is 100% dry inside, I'm tired of my dry clothes and bag getting dripped on.

So unless you know for a fact that a particular tent with that damn third pole doesn't cause condensation drip, it's not an option.

Other than that they need to have two side doors and enough vestibule room for backpack, boots, and a stove.

Delighted with the Big Agnes tent I used this year. Including some snarly weather in late September. Good tent for the weight. Not a lot of money. I'll have to go look up the model. They seem to have a million models.

Also if you want a really stormproof tent you may want to look at 4 season. The Big Agnes 4 season tents weigh what a 3 season tent weighed a few years ago.

The tent I've used the most in the rain and snow is the Hilleberg Allak. It was very impressive in all conditions, long enough to keep the bag end off the wall, excellent ventilation and vestibule space. Problem is it costs over $1,000...ouch.

This year I started using the Big Agnes Copper Spur...still testing it and there are a couple spots that look to possibly pool water in the rainfly if not pitched on perfectly. There is a new version out now that may have resolved the issue.

What tents have you tried?

I have an old Walrus 4-season, 4-person if it's really narly out, but I that thing weights over 10 lbs. I feel like I a normal 3 season should handle rain, even sustained hard rain (I have 1 and 2 person tents that do as much), it just seems the 3 person size has this massive design flaw.

Oh geez, tents I've used. That's hard because I don't remember any of the models.

REI quarter and halfs (all had terrible flys)
Marmot- pre-tungsten model, can't remember model name, great tent
North face- something, they don't make the design anymore, great tent, except only one door.
Sierra designs - meteor 3 (drippy)
Big Agnes- Copper spur 3 (drippy)
black diamond- ahwahnee (or it's predecessor)

North Face Stormbreak 3 person. Love it.

Both sides have their own full circle zip doors.
Three people? Like any tent, seems they find some thin bodied people...

It's my two person go-to and works great. Extremely simple setup. Vestibule works to store packs, etc...

Pic from a trip in the rain:

IMG_20190906_150758.jpg

North Face Stormbreak 3 person. Love it.

Both sides have their own full circle zip doors.
Three people? Like any tent, seems they find some thin bodied people...

It's my two person go-to and works great. Extremely simple setup. Vestibule works to store packs, etc...

Pic from a trip in the rain:

View attachment 121567
I don't know... it's got two of those d@mn cross poles!

Oh geez, tents I've used. That's hard because I don't remember any of the models.

REI quarter and halfs (all had terrible flys)
Marmot- pre-tungsten model, can't remember model name, great tent
North face- something, they don't make the design anymore, great tent, except only one door.
Sierra designs - meteor 3 (drippy)
Big Agnes- Copper spur 3 (drippy)
black diamond- ahwahnee (or it's predecessor)
I'm suspect of the Copper Spur that I have (work issued) but luckily it's a summer use item and rain can be a rare event then.

Maybe something from Nemo?

As others have mentioned, the Hilleberg tents are awesome. They come with a hefty price tag as well. I used my GoLite Shangri-la 5 in Alaska for 27 days one summer / fall, all but a couple of those days it rained. Never had a single leak. I did apply seam sealant to it as soon as I bought it. It fits 3 people, but I would want those 3 being larger than average size.

Not sure what your thoughts are on Tipis but I am pretty impressed with my luxe 2p tipi. I have the mesh insert as well which is a 3.5 season insert. Big enough for you and gear or a dog. Used it this season for summer scouting to November in the beartooths..... so a wide variety of conditions one day was solid rain with some hail. I was very impressed with how it handled. The only complaint I have is if you set up in a wet meadow or humid out your gonna build some serious condensation. But over all pretty impressed.

NEMO does make one that looks interesting. https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/losi/

Hilleberg looks good, but dang are they heavy, or the light ones only have one door. https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/yellow-label-tents/anjan-3/

I'm not real keen on tipis unless it's old enough to have killed the bugs and you want a stove. Otherwise I've found that skeeters get in and everything on the ground gets damp overnight. The other issue is that if you camp in a popular spot (like a permitted area) you're going to have a lot of mice, I don't mean just the occasional one, so I really like being able to completely zip them out.

You can get tipis with nests. My Golite SL5 had a nest.

You can get tipis with nests. My Golite SL5 had a nest.

This. One many tipis most of the nest is mesh material so it doesn't add that much weight. I used my Golite SL5 on one trip early on without the nest but have anways taken it since. Bugs or not, I just liked having a floor underneath to keep things a bit cleaner.

Not sure what your thoughts are on Tipis but I am pretty impressed with my luxe 2p tipi. I have the mesh insert as well which is a 3.5 season insert. Big enough for you and gear or a dog. Used it this season for summer scouting to November in the beartooths..... so a wide variety of conditions one day was solid rain with some hail. I was very impressed with how it handled. The only complaint I have is if you set up in a wet meadow or humid out your gonna build some serious condensation. But over all pretty impressed.
I'd never heard of Luxe before. They actually make some pretty decent options, <5lbs for a 2.5 person tipi, at around $450

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back