Need new scope ring/base advice

rachele39

Is anybody shooting a Winchester model 70 featherweight classic with a leupold vx5 3-15×44 scope.
Just got the new scope from schmalts and have to get some new mounting rings. Hoping to keep it as low as I can. Have a leupold 3-9×40 1" tube on it now with leupold low rings. Has about 2 millimeters clearance but I've never had a 30mm tube and the 44mm objective thinking it won't clear the barrel with low bases. Thinking Talley, Warne or Leupold. It's a 300 win mag if that makes any difference. Probably have to get medium bases but anyone with first hand knowledge and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You should have asked Schmalts about it when you were buying your scope.
Give him a shout, he'll gladly help you out!

I run EGW one piece base on all my rifles. EGW tends to be kinda tall, so low rings work well even with a 50mm objective.
I'm running Vortex Viper low rings on my 7mm Rem Mag. 300-400 rounds a year out of it. No issues.

Again, give Schmalts a call!

Talley lightweight extended front medium....74x701....*call Talley (803-854-5700) and confirm...https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/model-70-330-post-64/ (30mm, medium ht., long action mag extended)

...ask em if lows will clear, good people
Ditto the Talley. Most likely the med will be it. I tried the lows on my Zeiss 44 & it was too low. I talked to Talley & had lightweight extended med sent. Perfect fit. The switch cost me nothing.
The extended model really helps with placement options & scope fit/focus.

Yes, I should have asked but it was just pm on this site when he was posting about a sale on leupold optics. Didn't occur to me at the time. Will call Talley tomorrow and see if the lows will clear or mediums it is. Thank you gentlemen, that should cover it, I wanted Talley rings and think I'll focus on those.

Back