Caribou Gear Tarp

Need Help Picking a Fishing Rig

Four22

I’ve fished most of my life but have gotten away from it for a few years. I’m wanting to pick it back up this spring and summer and need a new fishing rod/reel combo.

fishing type:
-By myself from the bank or Jon boat
-With my kids from docks

Basically looking for a do all rod and reel combo for anything from panfish to crappie to bass.

Fishing will be in lakes and river.

I know there are as many opinions on this as the “what’s the best caliber for elk” threads but looking for some input.

Id like to stay $200 or less if possible but I can make some concessions if it’s fantastic.

Don't need anything too special for that. Medium light rod would be my choice. I have become a big fan of Pflueger ever since Shimano let me down with a few lemons.

sounds like you need a 6'6' medium or medium lite fast tip with a pflueger spinning reel. I like the St. Croix Avid series for general all around fishing.
This. Or substitute a cheaper rod if you like. It's ridiculous how affordable decent rods are now. I have a nice medium action that I got for $15.00 on sale... But those Avids are really nice. I'd err ML if you're more into the panfish, walleyes, etc. and err Medium if you're more into the big bass, pike, etc. Or, given my advice above, get two!

St. Croix premier spinning rod with a pflueger president size 30. This my favorite combo in my arsenal.

Okuma Celilo series rod and Shimano Sienna reel. About $60 for the whole outfit. The Shimano Sedona would be a nice but not necessary upgrade for about $40 more. Longer rod for bank fishing, shorter for docks so maybe a 6' would be a good compromise. A Norsemen Outdoors ESP rod would be a nice rod upgrade for another $35.

Last edited:
Its a repeat but I'll go ahead and plug for the 6'6' medium or medium lite pflueger spinning reel combo.

Thanks for the input. I’m going to swing by cabelas in the next few weeks and see which of these feels the best.

thanks for the input!

Has to be several hundred different rod and reel's that will fill the bill. I do like the Ocumas I've got. Got a Kastking spinning reel on a Shakespere med action rod I got with a light spinning reel for twenty bucks. Does all I want it to do. You'd probably have to go to Kastking's site to get their product's. I've got a Kastking Rover 40 level wind and the spinning reel is Centron 3000, very nice reel!

Another you might check in your price range is Fenwick. I’ve had many over the years. No have sent two in for repair (split ferrule and a cork separation on the handle of another) both were returned with new rods even though one was actually repaired as well. Thought that to be great CSvc

I’ve fished most of my life but have gotten away from it for a few years. I’m wanting to pick it back up this spring and summer and need a new fishing rod/reel combo.

fishing type:
-By myself from the bank or Jon boat
-With my kids from docks

Basically looking for a do all rod and reel combo for anything from panfish to crappie to bass.

Fishing will be in lakes and river.

I know there are as many opinions on this as the “what’s the best caliber for elk” threads but looking for some input.

Id like to stay $200 or less if possible but I can make some concessions if it’s fantastic.
Pflueger President attached to a 6'6" Ugly Stick with fluorocarbon line - 6lb test. Bass Pro was selling the Pflueger President XT Limited Edition for $49 (if you can find one in inventory) when I picked it up. The Ugly Stick is around $39. fluorocarbon line is around $12-$14 for 250'. And you can get a tackle bag for around $30. There you go for less than $200 ;)

If I could only own 1 combo to fish all things freshwater (excluding musky, big cats, sturgeon etc) I'd have a 1 peice 7'medium action spinning rod.. middle of the road quality, you don't have to buy g Loomis. I'd have a Diawa,Pfluger, or Shimano spinning reel on it spooled with 15 pound braid and would use a 15' leader of whatever type and size line thr situation called for.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back