Yeti GOBOX Collection

Need goose jerky recipe!!!!!!

woodswise13

Any one have a proven goose jerky recipe! last one I made tasted like spicy swamp, lol

Wish I could help, my goose jerky recipe was proven to be terrible...

I have a duck jerky recipe I tried a couple days ago. It was pretty good.

I think it was (if not I'll edit this evening):

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup liquid smoke

Marinade overnight, spread on dehydrator rack and sprinkle with garlic pepper before dehydrating.

257571.jpg

Get some hi-country jerky seasoning, what ever flavor you like. Cut into strips, I use a meat slicer and do the slicing after partially freezing the goose.

Use more season then they say to and be sure each piece of meat is completely seasoned. I layer the strips into a plastic container with a lid and take a shaker and sprinkle more seasoning on each layer. The I put them container the fridge for at least 2 days usually more. Then into the smoker at 185 until done.

I don't like using a brine for jerky.

Nemont

Last edited:
Two treatments go a long way for goose, regardless of the recipe.
1 - The very first thing to do with waterfowl (after cleaning) is to soak the meat in salt water for 24 hours (refrigerated).
2 - Adding some acids to your marinade (i.e. lemon juice, lemon-lime soda, tomato based) will also help reduce the swamp flavor.

My grandpa's goose jerky: "If you really want to know what goose tastes like, put your strips of goose meat out in the sun on cedar shingles for a few days. Then toss the meat and chew on the cedar because it will have only soaked in a little of the goose flavor."

I've had nothing but problems with goose and duck jerky...it seems that one batch will taste like your Spicy Swamp and others will be perfect. I'd suggest that you follow everybody's advice and over season a little. Using a smoker will help also.

A buddy has all of his waterfowl ground up and made into sausage by a secret meat processor and it always turns out good.

I have had some luck using salt and then soaking it in a bottle of mango habanero from Buffalo wild wings. Jerky has some kick, and some sweet, and some salt, great with beverage of choice.

Is the goose meat being cut with pork to make sausage? That is exactly what I want to try. I have been making vension sausage that way for 20 plus years and have my own tried and true recipes made from scratch! Any tips with the substitution of goose meat?

Is the goose meat being cut with pork to make sausage? That is exactly what I want to try. I have been making vension sausage that way for 20 plus years and have my own tried and true recipes made from scratch! Any tips with the substitution of goose meat?

Make sure that there is zero shot in the breasts when you grind them. Steel shot destroys grinder blades. Keep the goose extra cold, on the verge of frozen when you grind it.

Getting the right texture with goose meat seems to be the problem I have when making sausage.

Nemont

257571.jpg

Get some hi-country jerky seasoning, what ever flavor you like. Cut into strips, I use a meat slicer and do the slicing after partially freezing the goose.

Use more season then they say to and be sure each piece of meat is completely seasoned. I layer the strips into a plastic container with a lid and take a shaker and sprinkle more seasoning on each layer. The I put them container the fridge for at least 2 days usually more. Then into the smoker at 185 until done.

I don't like using a brine for jerky.

Nemont

I am a big fan of Hi-Country as well, but I grind and mix seasoning and then refrig over night. Pack into the jerky shooter and then to my dehydrator (no Miller smoker).

Like NeMont, I prefer the meat to be partially frozen when I grind (or cut in his case). Makes great jerky in my opinion.as well as buzzed folks at the bar.:D

Teriyaki, garlic salt, black peper, onion powder, soke over night then place in smoker depending on how hot your smoker gets it should only take a couple of hours. If using a dehydrateor use liquid smoke for good flavor. My buddy makes great duck and goose jerky with this reciepe.

Back