Need Friend Advise?

Trigger50

I need some advice fellow huntalkers. I have casual friends or acquaintances who keep asking me to take them on elk hunts etc..
I'm very selective who I hunt with. Especially ELK ! These guys aren't tough enough to handle a public land elk hunt or any elk hunt for that matter.
How do I kindly tell them no without pissing them off really bad?

If they are asking you to take them, don't give in during a moment of weakness. If they have the initiative to do it on their own and want to do it again, they might be good partners for an elk trip.

Something about a hard hunt brings out the best or the worst of folks. I know a lot of people who had to learn the hard way when they took someone they knew wasn't cut out for it.

Sometimes when I hunt in a party of three, (me,myself, and I) I vow to never again take the two whiners and complainers that are miserable company. :)

Some friends are good for camp times and some are good for the elk woods.

I find it easier to not have friends in the first place... I’m kidding.
I’ve had these discussions before. I usually set forth expectations prior to even planning a hunt with them. I have the Elk101 course and ask that they go though it... all. That way it’s pretty much Corey Jacobson doing the talking on your behalf. If they make it through the mental portion, have them go through an ElkShape (Dan Staton) regiment. If they pass all that and you still don’t want to hunt with them, they’re not your friends.

Good thread, I'm also really picky about who I hunt with. Even if I am sharing camp with people I like to venture off on my own a lot of the time. I can't really help, but my brother has asked me to take him out on an elk hunt this season. I love him, but he is a smoker and not in that great of shape. But I'd really like him to get into it so maybe we could hunt together in the future. I'm thinking maybe I'll take him for a day or something just to show him the ropes. Tough situation to be sure.

Haha! Love it jlong17 ! after showing him my bull pic. This 1 casual friend wont leave me alone about taking him elk hunting. I barely know him. That hunt pushed me to my physical limit. There's very few people I will take on that hunt. I might not even do it again myself.

Had it both ways. If someone wants to get into hunting I typically say they need to do hunters Ed, if they jump through that hope I will take them on some hunt that I choose. Few are willing to put in the minimal effort to clear that hurdle.

Elk hunting, way more selective. Either I have to want to hang out with you for a couple of days or you have to want it and are willing to put in the effort.

Sometimes things just work out, can be just as if not more rewarding to help someone get their first elk.
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/llama-drama-part-deux-the-lazy-bugler.302342/

Last edited:
I test out people by scouting new country. That way I don't give up my tested areas that I have figured out. The first run on any area is always a crap shoot. That way you get to test the land and the individual. Both are unknowns. Some deserve a second look some don't. Few can cut it.

Similar, with first timers I like to “find them a spot” and basically do the whole e-scouting thing with them on somewhere I’ve never been.

They both learn how to find spots, and then they have somewhere to go next year without you.

I have had two different people ask me the same question within the last two weeks. It’s not a fun place to be in. Neither have ever hunted before. I offered to take them antelope hunting. At least that way they can experience hunting, have multiple opportunities, and learn the ropes of hunting in general without blowing my likely one chance at an elk.

Getting someone you enjoy hunting with a bull is better than killing one yourself.
The key is finding a quality partner who has the same attitude if he’s helping you.
Having someone whose commitment level and willingness to have a good attitude through adversity is the number one necessity for a good trip.
If they are a casual friend and want you to take them hunting because they think your success is the ticket to them killing an elk, tell them you will take them if they pay your way for you.
That’s essentially what he’s asking from you if you have to give up your own hunting for his.
If you are hunting on resident tags then the standard of expectation would probably be considerably lower.

I have had two different people ask me the same question within the last two weeks. It’s not a fun place to be in. Neither have ever hunted before. I offered to take them antelope hunting. At least that way they can experience hunting, have multiple opportunities, and learn the ropes of hunting in general without blowing my likely one chance at an elk.
Mmmm no, Ptarmigan.

One must winnow out the chaff

Maybe say something to the effect that your camp is already full but you’d be willing to give him some tips on how to get started planning his own trip. Connect multiple of these casual friends so they can go together and learn together.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back