Need Elk liver and heart recipes

44hunter45

It's been year since I kept the liver and heart of an elk and I am rethinking that this year.

Who has liver and heart car tip and recipes?

Heart is good I usually use mine for stir fry. I find it very filling tho and an elk heart is big so since I dont want to eat heart for a week straight I end up grinding a bunch of mine in with my burger. Liver leave that for the coyotes lol

Liver - soak with milk and rinse very well. Then lightly floured and fried. I like to cook onions and mushrooms in the drippings to serve with with it.

The trick to heart is the prep work. I trim it very well (maybe too much) and then make steaks with it. A good flank or skirt steak recipe works great. Cook super hot to no more than medium rare. Slice across the grain. I like it in fajitas.

I’ve also made awesome jerky with heart.

Don’t over think heart. It’s just really lean fine grained meat. However, I do think heart more than most really benefits from a wet brine. It adds much needed moisture and will get out a lot of blood and milds the taste.

Jury is in. The liver I froze whole in vacuum pack. The heart I trimmed out and cut into fajita strips for tacos later.

Thanks everyone!

Mine is pretty simple. For heart, I slice them about 1/2 thick and remove the blood veins and any fat. For liver, I cut them to individual portions. I soak them in buttermilk (or 2 cups regular milk with 1 tsp white vinegar) for about 24 hours in the refridgerator. Then I roll it in flour, roll in scrambled egg bath, roll in Panko breadcrumbs (spicy kind), fry until done in olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Be careful not to overcook. Both heart and liver turn tough and dry if you overcook. You don't want to undercook either. Just until the pink inside disappears.

My liver recipe entails a shovel....
I've eaten liver a few times over the years just because somebody cooked it up but it's not one of my favorites. Since my dad passed away there really is no need for us to bring home livers anymore, he did like them.
I'm sure the coyotes would appreciate it if they didn't have to dig it up. ;)

Beef Liver and onions was a pretty cheap meal for a young couple just getting started. Because of that my wife and I ate way to much of it. Can't stomach it now. Never did really like deer liver anyhow.

Liver is great for your dogs or cat.

Heart I really enjoy. My grandmother always rinsed it out good and had it soaking in milk. Used olive oil and butter in the pan. Sliced across the heart into about 1/2" thick strips. Rolled in flour and fried up. Salt and pepper. Good stuff.

The Brittany Spaniel gets as much venison as we do. She gets all the bones and trimmings. I run the trimmings through the grinder when I'm done. One pass on the chopper and another with the grinder. It makes sweet little "Gain's Burgers".
If the liver experiement is a bust, then she'll get it in her parts.

Following Hank Shaw's broth and stock recipe for the first time ever. Turning big piles of critter into small piles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back