Caribou Gear

Need base and rings/scope suggestion

bpitt

I scored a deal on a Traditions Outfitter G3 in .35 Whelen a couple of weeks ago. I'm now looking for rings/base and scope recommendations for it. Shot ranges will be 'up close' to out to about 275 yards. Bought a couple of Burris scopes and have had good luck with them this season, but wasn't sure what size scope rings to get if I went with the same scope on the Whelen (medium or high?).

Remember that you have a hammer to get at with maybe a fat thumb and possibly gloves. Don't think I'd go lower than medium for the rings. Image borrowed for illustrative purposes.

632_040589027456.jpg

I see Talley recommended, but on their site, I don't see bases listed for any Traditions firearms. Am I missing it?

I see Talley recommended, but on their site, I don't see bases listed for any Traditions firearms. Am I missing it?
If you don’t see it listed, call them. Excellent customer service.

There’s this one for a Traditions muzzleloader that might fit. But again, I’d just call them.

Remember that you have a hammer to get at with maybe a fat thumb and possibly gloves. Don't think I'd go lower than medium for the rings. Image borrowed for illustrative purposes.

632_040589027456.jpg
Can't he get an extension that come out the side of the hammer for cocking?

Can't he get an extension that come out the side of the hammer for cocking?
Probably. That was suggested a couple posts previously. Unless it's a matter of comfortable fit when you shoulder up the rifle it probably doesn't make that much of a difference, but it would be interesting if someone would check POI at 100 yards with low, medium and high rings.

Last edited:
Back