Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Neck shots.

nwihunter

I’m bored and thinking elk hunting right now and was wondering what guys thoughts are on neck shots. I’ve taken 1 whitetail with a neck shot that was the only shot I had at that animal. It was with 12 g. magnum slugs and it dropped instantly. Last year I called in a bull from probably 1/2 mile away and he came in on a string right at me and he stopped at 30 yds facing directly at me. I aimed high neck dead center and took the shot with my .308 and he dropped dead on the shot. I obviously wouldn’t have taken that shot had it been broadside but straight on at 30 yds was something I felt completely comfortable with. Just wondering what other guys experience and opinions are with this type of shot.

IMG_6667.jpeg

I’ve killed 2 bulls with my muzzy hitting them in the neck right at the base of the head. First bull my dad shot and it ran out to about 150 and stopped I knew he was hit so I took a shot and he folded up. Second bull was in Colorado and we called a bull into like 20 yards my buddy shoots and it’s still standing there and I can see is head and neck. 2 bullets are better than one bull drops in his tracks. This time we start breaking him down and realize my buddy hit a tree and never touched that bull I killed it.

I lied. I shot a bull one time with my buddies bow due to mine blowing up the night before. Also hit him in the base of the head he went about 300 yards I watched him tip over he was throwing up blood exorcist style. I didn’t realize it at the time but my bino bivy was pushing on the sting and causing issues so 3 neck shots

I’ve killed 2 bulls with my muzzy hitting them in the neck right at the base of the head. First bull my dad shot and it ran out to about 150 and stopped I knew he was hit so I took a shot and he folded up. Second bull was in Colorado and we called a bull into like 20 yards my buddy shoots and it’s still standing there and I can see is head and neck. 2 bullets are better than one bull drops in his tracks. This time we start breaking him down and realize my buddy hit a tree and never touched that bull I killed it.
Who tagged him?

I did was a killer trip we went 2/4 dad missed a bull and he missed another one later that week

I don't like to ruin the roasts. mtmuley
Yeah I get that. I don’t particularly like to ruin any meat so I always try to avoid any shoulder shots. I’ve messed up a couple shots on deer hitting a little further behind the shoulder than I would have cared too. The hit on my elk was very high, right below the head so I didn’t lose much meat at all.

Why? The boiler room is big and reliable.
You shoot em in the boiler room they still run. Not with a neck shot, they drop. You miss the boiler room they run even farther, and could hit guts or ruin shoulders. AND you may not know if you got a good hit so you hit em again, maybe even again! Risking more of the above. Not with a neck shot, if you miss, you miss and you’ll know pretty quick! And lastly (maybe) id rather have front shoulders than neck meat. Thats just me.

Don’t usually neck shoot them at first. If I hit them a couple times and he’s still standing I’ll give him one right where the neck and head meet right behind the ear and that hammers them

Back