Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nebraska/South Dakota/Wyoming turkey hunt

pointingdogsrule

Went on a nine day turkey hunt last week. Met some really nice people and made some new friends. Started in Nebraska (a big thanks to a fellow forum member for hooking me up with some great guys) and hunted Merriams. Hunted the "river bottom birds" and after missing my first turkey in 23+ years (at 20 yards) I shot two later in the afternoon. Both 19 pounds, 3/4 inch spurs, 9 1/2 inch beards.

picture.php

The next day we hunted "timber birds". I took out the black powder shotgun. I have been practicing with this gun and it's lots of fun. We got onto a tom and eight hens and went about a mile before getting set up on them. We were set up next to a butte. They went around us so we quickly re-located to the other side of the butte. Three hens walked past me at 30 yards and I though that the goobler was a given. No luck as the hens turned around and the tom followed. They walked away and stopped under a pine tree while it snowed (for 20 minutes). We then hear more gobbling.... around the butte walk two red heads. The one sticks his neck out and I see a two inch beard (a jake). Since I have never shot a turkey with the black powder I am not picky. At 32 yards I let it go. Lots of smoke and a loud KABOOM!! He falls over right in his tracks. It was the first Jake that I have ever shot and I was SO HAPPY!!!

picture.php

I went onto South Dakota and hunted the Black hills for two days. Turkey numbers are very low in the hills this year. I got onto one bird but had no luck. I then went to Wyoming to visit a friend and hunt his ranch. Once more I saw birds, however, I couldn't close the deal. Here is a photo of some birds by the road. I tried to hunt these birds with no luck.

picture.php

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great time. I just got back from 8 days in Kansas & the Black Hills also. That Black Powder shotgun sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on your birds!!

That looks like fun!! Congrats! I may have to give a trip like that some thought. Chasing turkeys is mucho fun!

Congrats! I always see birds while deer hunting the hills...if I had a tag no doubt I wouldn't see any!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back