Nebraska Muzzleloader Muleys Advice

AJE

Hey guys,

We're looking to head to NE public land in December for mule deer hunting with the muzzleloader. Our deer hunting experience has been Illinois whitetail from stands for years, so this'll be an interesting switch. I'm excited, but wanted to throw the open-ended request out for advice. The initial goal is to hunt Valentine or McKelvie, but cruising on outdoornebraska.gov, I'm seeing other smaller WMAs and chunks of private land near ag fields that look interesting. Anyone have thoughts on areas to hit that late in the season? Any advice in general would be good - terrain features, field types, things to avoid :), etc. This being my first hunt with NE terrain and mule deer, I just don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

It’s gonna be tough, but not impossible. It depends on what you are after. I wouldn’t set my sights on a 140”+ buck because most likely you will be disappointed. The little bit of public land in the area gets hammered and most deer are on to private by then. If you are familiar with OnX try to call some landowners in the areas you want to hunt. Weather is your biggest factor, December around Valentine could be 70 or it could be -40, and could be both in the span of 2 days. If it’s warm look in the patches of timber, if it’s cold look for anywhere close to pivots, weather it’s corn, beans, or alfalfa. If it’s brutal cold look around alfalfa and bean fields. Nebraska has some Open Fields and waters that 99% of people wouldn’t even think about deer hunting because it’s all stubble or stalks. But when food is more of a need the deer will hang around on them or near them. The wind WILL blow, out your face in the wind and glass the backside of Sandhills where they could be bedded out of the wind.

Good luck! Hope you have a fun trip out here.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back