Nebraska Landowner Kill Permits Aplenty

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I am not familiar with Nebraska politics or the legislative process. Got this notice in an email just a bit ago, so wanted to post it here for any Nebraska hunters who want to comment or who can make the hearing in such short notice.

There’s a hearing Wednesday on a bill in Nebraska that would require Nebraska Game and Parks Commission (NGPC) to issue free, transferable kill permits to landowners for elk, deer and antelope. NGPC really needs hunters to show up at the hearing this Wednesday at 1:30.
There are approximately 2,500-3,000 elk in Nebraska. This bill could potentially issue kill permits to tens of thousands of landowners or leaseholders who could then sell them to anyone they want. The kill permits could be used year-round. In addition to elk, it also includes deer and antelope, potentially causing irreparable damage to big game populations and hunting opportunity. The fiscal note estimates the bill would cost NGPC about $4.9 million in lost revenue and additional expenses.

Senator Steve Erdman introduced this bill - LB1173. Link to track this bill on the Nebraska Legislative site is here - https://nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/view_bill.php?DocumentID=41497

The bill text is not available at the link above, though an announced hearing is for tomorrow, February 12th at 1:30. Below is a link to a PDF of the file. Pages 11 and 12 are where the handouts happen.

If you want to contact Senator Erdman, his email is here - [email protected]

If you want to contact the entire Natural Resources Committee, they are at this link, listed in the upper right - http://news.legislature.ne.gov/nat/

Attachments

• LB1173 trasferable permits.pdf
    88.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for posting, as a Nebraskan under the age of 30 it scares me with the type of bills that have been introduced here recently and the impacts they could have on future hunters. I’ve posted a few other threads recently on some of the other bills. There is an obvious agenda at work in certain districts in the western part of our state and that agenda is not good for anyone who enjoys wildlife and nature in general.

While starting to venture out of state to hunt over the past year I’ve consumed as much information as possible from guys like you, and I’ve really enjoyed listening to the conversations that bring attention to conservation issues out west. Once those same issues start popping up in your own back yard it feels like a personal attack on something that means a lot to you. I hope others in my state feel the way I do and contact their reps, share information with others who may not be aware of what’s going on, and try to have an impact in a positive and respectful manner.

was it a bill recently introduced nebraska to put a permanent moratorium on no new land acquisitions in the future? What the hell is going on in that state?

was it a bill recently introduced nebraska to put a permanent moratorium on no new land acquisitions in the future? What the hell is going on in that state?
That’s correct.

There is also a separate bill, LB126, to allow landowners up to four free either sex deer permits for a special 5 day rifle season in November which would take place before the regular 9 day rifle season.

Sen. Hughes also introduced LB859 that would amend the eligibility requirements for game and parks commissioners. He wants it to be a requirement that a commisioner must be “actively engaged in farming or ranching” rather than simply being involved with the industry.

Sen. Erdman has caught the ire of sportsman in Nebraska. He is a politician that neither cares nor understands and appreciates conservation and the Nebraska Game and Parks. A reap from the landscape what you can fella. A number of conservation organization leadership and myself are aware and will be present tomorrow. I don't want to draw down fervor, but we don't expect it to make it out of committee. The Nebraska 60 day "short" session guarantees every bill has a public hearing. Legislators utilize this as a way to "feel the waters" and refine a future bill.

LB1173 Erdman - Free and transferable permits to those that own or lease over 320 acres. Hunting leases cost go WAY up and public access and the average hunter's ability to draw an elk or antelope tag go WAY down. Assuming tag reallocation which would be probable.
LB126 Hughes - Free landowner permits and landowner special season. I am against it due to the significant Game and Parks funding loss, however to be fair, contingent if the landowner consents to allow public >50% of land ownership available to public hunting.
LB863 Hughes - Limit ownership of the Game & Parks Commission - argument is Game & Parks isn't sufficiently funded to manage what they currently own. Well, fund it then. Not an outside of the box theory. This will dramatically effect DU in their mission to receive land donations, improve the property and turn it over to the State for permanent conservation and public access.

bklotthor please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss.

I have a good friend in Game snd Parks. They don’t like a lot of this crap, but fools like Erdman cause problems. I understand crop damage stuff, as I shoot gobs of summer deer on my neighbor’s land with his depredation permit. This is an ongoing problem with no real solution because land is leased and closed off to hunting bucks/ bulls. Also-and one of my biggest issues- is that everybody thinks they have to chase bucks/ bulls. Lots of land owners will let you hunt does late season, but that is usually not good enough. My rancher buddy turned a guy away because he had to have a buck. I laugh at this stupidity, and keep on with my several thousand acres of unfettered access for filling my freezer. During these tough times in agriculture, I don’t blame anybody for whining about crop damage. Hunters bring a lot of this to the forefront themselves, by thinking that the only hunt that they want is for trophies. Landowners go straight to sympathetic state senators for help.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back