NEBRASKA - Archery Mule Deer DIY OTC

Hey all! New to the site!

Non-resident hunter here from the Northeast looking for some help and whatever bit of information anyone is willing to share.

I’m not asking for honey holes but just a general direction as to where I may be able to find some mulies. I unfortunately do not have the ability and or time to scout. So E-scouting and forums has become my best friend. I’m also limited in time so I’d really like to narrow down specific locations.

I’ve heard of the Sandhills, Pine Ridge, Ft. Robinson, Oglala and McKelvie locations.

Whatever bit of information anyone is willing to share, especially about the locations mentioned above, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Non-resident hunter here from the Northeast looking for some help and whatever bit of information anyone is willing to share.

I’m not asking for honey holes but just a general direction as to where I may be able to find some mulies. I unfortunately do not have the ability and or time to scout. So E-scouting and forums has become my best friend. I’m also limited in time so I’d really like to narrow down specific locations.

I’ve heard of the Sandhills, Pine Ridge, Ft. Robinson, Oglala and McKelvie locations.

Whatever bit of information anyone is willing to share, especially about the locations mentioned above, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
I would determine what type of terrain you want to hunt. Ft. Rob and Pine Ridge have more elevation change and forest. The other locations you mention are more rolling hills and open country for the most part.

I've never hunted Nebraska or the Colorado Plains. Driven through many times heading further west. I have hunted Kansas right along the line by Colorado and also right near the Nebraska line, but for whitetails.

If you've really got a desire to hunt Nebraska, by all means do it! I bet you'd have a great time so long as your expectations are properly calibrated.

If you are selecting these areas based solely on drive time though, which I can certainly understand as you're coming from the northeast, I would personally reconsider. If you're already coming from 30 hours away, go ahead and make it 35 hours if it means the difference between a high quality hunt vs. a mediocre experience.

Good luck!

There is no reason to "plan" a hunt in Nebraska when you have the choice to get tags in other states.

Things used to be pretty good around Chadron but not any more. The animal #'s are way down, even antelope and turkeys are way down. They have had some tough winters recently and need 4-5 good years to build back up.

Sandhills are tough for bowhunting, and just tough overall.

I'd spring for an outfitter or plan to drive to a better state if I was in your shoes.

Pick a different state. After getting harassed by a local sheriff because I had Colorado tags I won't even drive through that state. Plus there are way better places to hunt.

Go otc to Idaho or apply for a 0 point draw unit in Colorado. If you just wanna kill any mulie buck you can in Nebraska, but I wouldn’t come out here with expectations of killing a trophy.

Apply in NV, WY, NM, or CO. Plenty of options for MD archery with no points...some of which are 100% or very close to. NE has a sexy website but don’t be fooled - look at how many tags are issued for how little public land there is.

Thank you!
The north east? Like new England?

The AZ otc archery hunts would be right up your alley.

If there's a more beautiful place then AZ in the winter, I'd like to see it.

Thank you!
I live here and it isn’t worth the 5 hour drive. But every year i still find myself doing it.

Nebraska public land muley buck. It’s a fun hunt we go almost every year. Glad to see no one recommends “wasting” your money one it.
Im glad you posted that because im always curious how many people actually pull bucks out of there. We always see plenty of deer at fort rob but only a few bucks archery hunting in october

Im glad you posted that because im always curious how many people actually pull bucks out of there. We always see plenty of deer at fort rob but only a few bucks archery hunting in october
What kind of terrain are you hunting? I know Fort Rob like the back of my hand, it and the grasslands. October can be a tough month but I might be able to point you in the right direction.

What kind of terrain are you hunting? I know Fort Rob like the back of my hand, it and the grasslands. October can be a tough month but I might be able to point you in the right direction.
We camp at the entrance to the soldier creek area and hunt that and then the areas north and south of the solider creek road. We always see plenty of deer but the bucks are just slim pickins. Its not because of lack of effort either. We put on the miles and glass quite a bit. Ive also heard people going in before us and being on bucks the entire time. Maybe we are just unlucky going mid october but thats what correlated with fall break. Also scared to go during rifle because i dont like a lot of pressure. And the only reason i havnt took my muzzleloader up there is because of the bad luck in october. We would be going back this year but got a special opportunity in north dakota that cant be passed up.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back