neat Nilgai pictures.

Tom

http://www.huntinfo.com/livehunts/nilgai/

Joshua did a high fence hunt for nilgai.

They're like one of the biggest antelope in the world!

Take a look.

I enjoyed the story until I got to the part about the Nilgai still being alive 2 hours after it had been arrowed (another reason I don't do bow hunting, though I have no beef with those who do)- At least they finally put it down. Stories like that one play directly into the hands of the PETA types if they see it. Don't be surprised if it winds up being featured in a PETA pamphlet....Sorry :(

Death by an arrow is pretty humane. Sometimes animals continue eating, the slice through is so painless, then fall over dead. Sometimes they walk away, feeling an irritation or small noise, then fall over dead. A big gun blast, a jolting hit, smashed bones, that's a bit less humane many times. Both a gun and a bow death are much more humane than a march down a slaughter house path by a long shot, I would think.

I've read accounts of people accidently shot by an arrow and they feel little pain, but know not to move and bleed a lot before help comes.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-28-2002 16:06: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Yeah Tom, I know that from the way most animals act after getting arrowed there seems to be not a lot of distress.... I surely don't want to sound like I was condemning bow hunters at all - my messed up rotator cuff keeps me from being an archer.

The only thing though, is that I'd hate to see that hunt with it's comment about "2 hours later the Nilgai was still alive" get into PETA's literature - I guess I'd have left out the time frame reference. I know I wouldn't win any prizes with PETA as I like to hunt hogs with dogs and spears. :eek: :D

I've thought about buying a spear several times. A place I used to go to a lot, I think I could do it without the dogs, or would like to try, but some people come there with dogs also and have let me hunt with them. I think he expanded his story and got rid of the part you keep pointing out. I don't get to hunt with the weapons I have enough, but if we could do a spear hunt for hogs, I might get one.

I bought a 6' hog spear from the Cold Steel company. This was after I was getting ready to knife a hog when the catch dog let go - we suddenly had a REALLY pissed off 200 lb boar with 2 1/2" teeth in our faces... The spear at least gives you a few extra feet of space. I'm getting ready to hunt hogs near Angleton near the end of the month - that party is filled, but I can give you the guy's name and # if you want to hunt some other time - he hunts only in his spare time. There is a $100 trespass fee and and maximum charge of $150 if you take a hog.

You guys sound like your having to much fun...I some day would like the opertunity to hunt hogs. I hear the meat is some of the best you can get. Way better than livestock. Well...sigh.....someday!! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back