Yeti GOBOX Collection

Near miss pheasant day

T Bone

Saturday, myself and 2 friends headed out for pheasants. Temps were near 0 ambient, and well below 0 with the windchill. No other hunters were seen, and the birds were plentiful and spooky.

Luck was with me and my limit was had in the 1st 30 minutes. My GSP was hardcore for the 1st 2 hours making several good plays on running birds pinning them down and holding for minutes. With one buddy one bird short, we were working a brushy edge when the dog dissapeared. I figured she was on point, and took a couple minutes to find her....curled up and barely responsive. I picked her up, put her in my coat and got back to the truck asap. Gave me a good scare. We had hot chocolate and we got that in her (yes I know a dog isn't supposed to have chocolate). After an hour she started responding well.

Looking back I realize how stupid I was. Even though she had a cordura vest on, the dog has very little coat and no fat to insulate. I can't believe how fast the hypothermia set in. In minutes she was on fire finding birds, the next curled up, ready for deep freeze.

Took her to the vet for a look over. She's fine except for just a very tiny touch of frost bite on the private parts. Vet says no worries though.....

Vet says short 20-30 minute hunts are fine with equal time in heated area. Otherwise, he recommended a lab for the cold stuff......

Lesson learned. Hope none of you do this to your dog.

Glad everything worked out OK Tyson. Sounds like you have a real pheasant pro now.

Wow, I'm glad she is okay. I hate when chit happens to my hunting buddy. Can't imagine hunting without her. She's a lab so if you need a dog to help you chase pheasants for the rest of the season she will be glad to be of service. :D :D

Aaron

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep it in mind if we ever venture north or happen upon a rare day in these parts.

I'am glad your dog is ok. that would suck losing your dog like that.

yep, nothing beats a lab in cold weather.

Attachments

• 2004 hunting season 139.jpg
    2004 hunting season 139.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 73
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back