ND mulie down

r-22 pilot

Headed out to the bad lands this morning to chase some mulies around. It started out as a pretty slow morning at the ol' office. I seen a couple little forks and some does and fawns. A lot of does with twins which is a nice change!

After a few hours of glassing I decided to head west along a different ridge when I seen this guy just walk into the pines. After watching the top side of the pines I decided he must have bedded in there. I moved to about 150 yards from the pines and could see him bedded on the back side of the draw. The wind was good and I decided to make my move.

I stalked to 30 yards of the where I thought I last seen him, but couldn't find him to save my life. I just kept sneaking up the small clay shelf and glassing the same 10 feet of trees. It still blows my mind how I could be that close to him and not be able to see him. I got behind a tree about the same size as me and stood up. After I stood up I seen his ear! There he was right in front of me! The wind hit the back of my head and I knew it was about to happen. He stood up, I drew, put the pin on his shoulder and sent it on its way. He bolted leaving me standing there in disbelief.

I found a lot of blood, but didn't want to push it so I called my hunting buddy Danny to let him know I shot one. Being the good buddy him and his brother drove the hour to help me even though he was suppose to be at a wedding with his girl friend in a couple hours (not sure how that turned out for him). While I was waiting for him I found the buck 30 yards from where I shot him and I couldn't be happier. He wasn't the deer I was looking for, but a hell of a public land ND buck for me.

We got him quartered up and loaded up on the Exo mountain packs and headed out of the drainage. I can't say enough good things about those packs and Steve and Lenny at Exo. Great product!

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 638
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 635
  • akljfs;d.JPG
    akljfs;d.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 634
I'd call that a trophy any day. Nice buck! Congrats on the muley and having great friends to help you out.

Nice. Was your buddy able to use a picture of the buck to get our of the penalty box? He should say, "Honey this rack is the only other rack I will be checking out today!"

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwdrx
Back