ND Landowner blows up on young waterfowlers

If you haven't talked to the land owner, you probably don't need to set up on what you ASSUME is his property line. I think the boys knew they would run in to problems if they hunted there by the way they said they went by his house four times. The problem is just because there isnt an attendant at the register, you dont get to just go home without paying. There's obviously plenty of room out there but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I think he's an a-hole, and I don't think very highly of a-holes but from skimming through the video I'm leaning on the side of the landowner here.

Landowner blowing up then trying to make some quick cash before retreating.
There's a lot to unpack here. If he'd rolled up and just calmly said "you kids are trespassing and you either need to pay the trespass fee or pick up your deeks and go" it's not necessarily some evil farmer it's more like an outfitter. While I'm sure that the people you've met or know of that have done this in the past may have been the worst kind of dudes it's not "the way of the farmer".

For the record, as a farmer and landowner, I could just as easily say that hunting on or over the line, leaving beer cans, cigarette butts, candy wrappers, shotgun shells, and toilette paper is the way of the public land hunter. While I've never met or heard of anyone ask for money so they won't call the law, I have found everything listed above at trailheads, right of ways, and even on my own property from people that either don't know they're trespassing or just don't care.

Theres two scenarios here that make this a bit more....complex.

1. The North Dakota section line law. This law opens a 33 ft public right of way on each side of a section line (even if both sides are posted). I'm not sure if this happened on a section line or not. The angry guy in the video said it wasn't but I don't know.

2. How much would you wager that this guy planted his Corn exactly up to his property boundary down to the inch? Just because the corn and beans meet, does not automatically mean that's where the property boundary is. The angry dude could have planted his Corn 2 feet over his property line or vice versa. Having it surveyed would be the only solution. But thats not economical or reasonable for anyone involved. If the hunters blind was on the line, that's not crossing it is it? If a piece of grass from their blind was in the airspace over his land is that trespassing? If it was touching a piece of his corn that fell over his property line and onto the other side is that trespassing? Far too many variables here.

But saying the hunters were trespassing sure doesnt seem to pass the smell test.
It appeared one of the hunters may have been looking at Onx on his phone in the vid.
Regardless, the "cornfield guy" is a big baby and a nutcase... and a jerk!
Even IF a couple of blades of grass were hanging over "his corn stubble" was it worth showing his butt over it?
He was angry that they beat him to the spot he wanted to hunt and is a childish excuse for an adult.

Last edited:
the younger guys kept their cool for the badgering this guy did. I skimmed through most of it to the CO part.

I have to say, anytime I hunt private land for ducks and even though we get permission, theres always that part of me wondering if we're stepping on someone else's toes; waterfowl hunters get defensive, heck, don't even say the word "roost" around certain crowds :LOL:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back