Caribou Gear Tarp

ND Game and Fish coming under fire for CWD Management

Looks like ND farmers did a pretty good job of reducing the population. I don't want to try to argue the past, or what could have been done. But I can definitely see why they wouldn't listen to "input from the people at advisory board meetings"
Farmers didn't reduce the population.. Mother Nature did what she always does and handled over population herself (harsh winters, EHD, etc).. Does the decline in CRP acres have anything to do with why their hasn't been a much of an increase after the drastic die off, probably.

Then why call it an advisory board meeting? The point of an advisory board meeting is to give citizens the opportunity to discuss fish and wildlife related issues.

"Created in the 1960s the North Dakota Game and Fish Advisory Board is made up of eight members, four landowners and four hunter/anglers. Board members serve as liaisons between the department and the North Dakota public. Bi-annual meetings are held in each of eight districts giving citizens an opportunity to discuss fish and wildlife related issues."

Last edited:
I remember that. It was called nodakoutdoors.com. Three federal guys from the Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center USGS in Jamestown ND were the moderators. Lots of people got booted/banned. Kind of like facebook or twitter censoring certain thought. The place is a hollow shell now. Everyone left and went to fishingbuddy but that site imploded when a couple drunk as hell moderators took over. The booting off, caused a mass exodus.
I think within a year of my dad and many others being booted/banned nodakoutdoors basically shut down.

Fishingbuddy came next and then their moderators booted a pretty decent chunk of people and that went by the way side (they reinstated everyone after the mass exodus.. heck, even my dad isn't banned on there anymore)

Even Nodakangler has really slowed down in activity unfortunately.

The point of an advisory board meeting is to give citizens the opportunity to discuss fish and wildlife related issues.
I'm making a wild guess that the citizens who go to that meeting do so to tell the board members they suck at their job and are doing it wrong. Just a wild guess.
Does the decline in CRP acres have anything to do with why their hasn't been a much of an increase after the drastic die off, probably.
Probably?!!! Farmers allowed Mother Nature the opportunity to reduce the population drastically because they took away the resource necessary to get deer through hard winters. You can try to wash your hands of it, but that is the reason. But that is what you said you wanted..lower numbers.

The point of an advisory board to make recommendations.
Yes it is, but the advisory board is also the the liaison between citizens and the Game and Fish department. The advisory board meeting is supposed to be used to discuss the issues of people in that district.

"Created in the 1960s the North Dakota Game and Fish Advisory Board is made up of eight members, four landowners and four hunter/anglers. Board members serve as liaisons between the department and the North Dakota public. Bi-annual meetings are held in each of eight districts giving citizens an opportunity to discuss fish and wildlife related issues."

Four members must be bona fide farmers or ranchers and four members must be bona fide sportsmen. Each farmer or rancher appointment must be made from a list of three names submitted by agricultural organizations requested by the governor to submit the list and each sportsman appointment must be made from a list of three names submitted by outdoor, sportsmen, wildlife, and conservation organizations requested by the governor to submit the list. Appointments are for a term of four years from the first day of July of the year of expiration of the basic term, and until a successor has been appointed and qualified. Vacancies occurring other than by the expiration of an appointive term may be filled by appointment for the remainder of the term only. No member of the board may serve longer than two full terms. The members of the advisory board are subject to removal by the governor for cause only. The advisory board shall select from their members a chairman, vice chairman, and secretary who serve in these positions until June thirtieth of the year next following their selection.

20.1-02-24. Compensation. Each member of the advisory board is entitled to be paid a per diem of sixty-two dollars and fifty cents for each day of service in going to, attending, and returning from the meetings required by section 20.1-02-25 to be held in that person's respective district and the meetings of the advisory board. Each member is entitled to be reimbursed for necessary and actual expenses at the rates and in the manner provided by law for other state officers. The compensation and expenses must be paid out of department appropriations.

20.1-02-25. Meetings and duties. Each board member shall hold a public meeting at least twice each fiscal year in the board member's respective district to make presentations and to determine the needs and the opinions of those interested in these activities. The board shall meet at least twice each fiscal year. The board has the authority to advise the director regarding any policy of hunting, fishing, and trapping regulations, and may make general recommendations concerning the operation of the department and its programs that the director may carry out. The board shall forward copies of its recommendations to the governor. This section does not limit or restrict the powers, duties, and authority of the governor in the issuance of orders and proclamations as provided in chapter 20.1-08.

I'm making a wild guess that the citizens who go to that meeting do so to tell the board members they suck at their job and are doing it wrong. Just a wild guess.

Probably?!!! Farmers allowed Mother Nature the opportunity to reduce the population drastically because they took away the resource necessary to get deer through hard winters. You can try to wash your hands of it, but that is the reason. But that is what you said you wanted..lower numbers.
You can livestream a few of the advisory board meetings that are held through out the state. Usually there is good discussion that nothing ever comes out of on one side. At an advisory board meeting in Minot last fall as much "hostility " came from the other side of the road by one person.. enough so that it was even pointed out by multiple people in attendance during the meeting.

If you think CRP acres are what are needed to get deer through winters in North Dakota you are greatly mistaken.. even more then tree rows are needed. Farmers and ranchers are also the people that are pushing snow in the winter in their own ag fields near where deer yard up to help get them to food sources to get through the winter. Even at the height of CRP acres in North Dakota deer still yarded up for 4-5+ months. They are herd animals, its instinct. There are multiple towns in North Dakota that deer travel to and yard for many months. We have had deer travel 10+ miles to yards, even during the height of habitat in North Dakota. They travel to areas with the best habitat (even from very good habitat) and easiest food source (generally ranchers yards or town after 2' of snow have fallen and they are unable to reach food).

Do I want lower numbers from when the game and fish was able to issue 140,000+ tags? absolutely. It wasn't sustainable, even with the amount of CRP acres there was in North Dakota in the early 2000's.

I just can’t believe the stupid shit I read on this site sometimes. EHD outbreaks in northern latitudes have about zero to do with hurricane season in the south, but please carry on.
1675914143356.png

Complete and total BS. Culicoides are native all over North America. No hurricane winds required.

This is the type of crap that makes you guys look like loonatics.
Only the females chew and bite to get a bloodmeal.

This thread does a good job of confirming my long-held belief that part of the human condition is seeking mental comfort. And that mental comfort condition is often stronger than the human condition of curiosity and open-mindedness.

Thus may statement I have written on the white board in my office, "Beware the false comforts of ignorance."

B98EC733-A5F6-431C-B084-0B1A0E94A019.pngEC4F410B-EF01-4037-BBDF-9CA097C90544.jpeg

For everyone claiming the ND game and fish department is not bringing the ethics side into play and only using "science and data" as their motive, I would like to share this tidbit.

ND Game and Fish has been using a site called hunter-ed.com for their online hunters safety platform for a couple of years (since 2020 I believe). The 2nd picture up top is a screenshot taken directly from the course and it seems to me that the game and fish department is using a platform that is pushing their ethical agenda onto the youth that are taking hunters safety, at least their online platform is.

I would now like to point out the testimony given by Casey Anderson, wildlife division chief for the ND game and Fish. At roughly 10:30 of the clip he is specifically asked if hunters safety instructors are talking about the ethics of baiting, to which he claims it's not in the curriculum, and the only ethics portion of hunter safety is to do the right thing when no one is watching (follow rules and regulations set forward). According to what is being taught in the online hunters safety class, that is simple false, and clearly it talks about the ethics of baiting as being a "gray area".

E0FAAF7C-9710-452C-9D93-2A5257BAE4D1.png

I think 13 pages of debate on the topic of baiting confirms that baiting does fall into the category of "examples of gray areas."

Q: Should we deny that baiting is a "gray area" and "may even be illegal in some locales?"

I don't give two hoots if folks bait or whatever. Knock themselves out. It seems you deny what is being taught; that baiting is one of the gray areas and may even be illegal in some locales. That seems like a rather factual statement to me, as evidenced by this long thread and the fact that a lot of states prohibit baiting.

This stuff gets funnier with each post.

I think within a year of my dad and many others being booted/banned nodakoutdoors basically shut down.

Fishingbuddy came next and then their moderators booted a pretty decent chunk of people and that went by the way side (they reinstated everyone after the mass exodus.. heck, even my dad isn't banned on there anymore)

Even Nodakangler has really slowed down in activity unfortunately.

So is the regurgitated circle jerk within your resident FB support groups getting so boring now that you come here to go back and forth with non residents? You guys get banned from your own resident forums and expect a different outcome here of all places? 🤣

Screenshot_20230209_071142_Drive.jpg
^^^Your own words. Your entire agenda. 🤣🤣🤣

You want your "tool" and that's all that matters. You enjoy whacking deer out of a heated elevated blind over bait piles in minus 20 degree weather the last week of December and into January (again, all your own words)

You talk about how much you do for habitat. It's not for the state's resource or for future generations to have access to it, it's for "your deer" and your own personal playground that you have locked up.

You have gained nothing with the ND residents in this thread and only worsened the divide you speak of. There is nothing you say that can be taken seriously. Your agendas and views are better copied and pasted somewhere else.

I think 13 pages of debate on the topic of baiting confirms that baiting does fall into the category of "examples of gray areas."

Q: Should we deny that baiting is a "gray area" and "may even be illegal in some locales?"

I don't give two hoots if folks bait or whatever. Knock themselves out. It seems you deny what is being taught; that baiting is one of the gray areas and may even be illegal in some locales. That seems like a rather factual statement to me, as evidenced by this long thread and the fact that a lot of states prohibit baiting.

This stuff gets funnier with each post.
Yes it is fairly straight forward what that picture is stating, using corn or protein pellets are a gray area (maybe even not legal) of ethical behavior that come down to a matter of personal choice.. The problem is when you have a state wildlife official saying the ethics of baiting (even as a gray area) are not being discussed in hunters safety to the House Energy and Natural Resources committee, yet it is being discussed as a gray area even.. Is where the problem comes in.

Casey Anderson does a good job and I have had some great discussions with him at advisory board meetings and elsewhere about a variety of topics. This isn't a hit piece on him, it is just pointing out that not everything being put forth is factual as some people would like it to be.

This thread does a good job of confirming my long-held belief that part of the human condition is seeking mental comfort. And that mental comfort condition is often stronger than the human condition of curiosity and open-mindedness.
I would love to give my translation of this statement, but it might get me put in HT jail for breaking one or more forum rules. :D

So is the regurgitated circle jerk within your resident FB support groups getting so boring now that you come here to go back and forth with non residents? You guys get banned from your own resident forums and expect a different outcome here of all places? 🤣

View attachment 263997
^^^Your own words. Your entire agenda. 🤣🤣🤣

You want your "tool" and that's all that matters. You enjoy whacking deer out of a heated elevated blind over bait piles in minus 20 degree weather the last week of December and into January (again, all your own words)

You talk about how much you do for habitat. It's not for the state's resource or for future generations to have access to it, it's for "your deer" and your own personal playground that you have locked up.

You have gained nothing with the ND residents in this thread and only worsened the divide you speak of. There is nothing you say that can be taken seriously. Your agendas and views are better copied and pasted somewhere else.
That is my agenda yep.. to open baiting back up for the people in North Dakota statewide, including myself, my kids and others which should seem pretty clear as I'm in support of this bill.. As I have said we haven't had that tool for a few years and all that has hurt is opportunities for others on our land.. you claim that it's a "personal playground that we have locked up" yet haven't replied to the portions where over 100 sportsmen came in and harvest deer out of that same heated elevated stand over a bait pile in minus 20 degree weather the last week of December and into January (btw, my dads words from his facebook, not mine).. seems like its my own personal playground we have locked up when other sportsmen can enjoy it also?..

The Facebook page you are referring to seems to have enough traction that it's gotten people out and speaking, (even submitting testimony in overwhelming fashion) in support of the bill and I still share posts and comment on stuff the page posts. All I am doing on here is bringing the other side of the bill to HT. Brock (a ND resident) came with his opinion on this bill to a public forum and it was welcomed, ND residents in favor have come with data points and facts and links and it's been laughed at and shot down.

Last edited:
Sytes posted this below December 24th. Clip. In October USDA granted over $9 million towards CWD. North Dakota Game and Fish was granted $96,300 for Shifting behaviors to lower the risk of CWD; a multi-media approach. This is Human Dimensions or the study of sportsmens behaviors and public perceptions.

Below that is Wisconsin, the State where Dr. Bryan Richards hails from, receiving $150,000 for Deepening Partnerships; Expanding access: Reducing CWD Transmission Risks by Supporting Proper Carcass Disposal.

View attachment 263863
The game and fish used that money for this..I get 100,000 isn't a lot of money I the scheme of a government agency, but this is what it went to.. Talk about a waste of money. View attachment 263874Decals are so productive at slowing the spread
GF hasn't spent a single penny of that Money. I know because I double checked before posting about it. You should try it some time.

If federal funding is so bad, why did both of you accept federal dollars? #followthemoney
Screenshot_20230209_121020_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230209_115915_Chrome.jpg

I would now like to point out the testimony given by Casey Anderson, wildlife division chief for the ND game and Fish. At roughly 10:30 of the clip he is specifically asked if hunters safety instructors are talking about the ethics of baiting, to which he claims it's not in the curriculum, and the only ethics portion of hunter safety is to do the right thing when no one is watching (follow rules and regulations set forward). According to what is being taught in the online hunters safety class, that is simple false, and clearly it talks about the ethics of baiting as being a "gray area".

I do not know Casey Anderson, nor do I work for Game and Fish. But I have been a volunteer Hunter’s Ed instructor in ND. We have never talked about the ethics of baiting in class, nor is mentioned anywhere in the booklet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back