Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

ND Game and Fish coming under fire for CWD Management

Exactly. How are state agencies supposed to control the weather and make it rain? I’d even argue baiting, thus congregating deer, could make ehd spread worse
The midge that carries EHD is water dependant.. You can use water as a form of legal bait in north dakota currently. You Can also still legally feed deer year round in North Dakota.

Last edited:
Exactly. How are state agencies supposed to control the weather and make it rain? I’d even argue baiting, thus congregating deer, could make ehd spread worse
Lame.......

The Culicoides midge travels north on hurricane winds. 2022 the hurricane season started late and there were no problems. But, in 2021 hurricane season started a month early. They killed deer, elk, cattle and bison in ND.

The trouble is they get going in September. Fly season is over and ranchers pull their treatment plan or do not re-supply fly control. Midge feed on cattle and then deer. They can kill cattle but would have to be chewed on about 3000 times in one night.

The midge has a rather clear exoskeleton and does not like direct sunlight. They live on the shaded side of reeds and climb down to the water line. They come out late evening and can buzz miles on a calm night.

The midge that carries CWD is water dependant.. You can use wait at as form of legal bait in north dakota currently. You Can also still legal feed deer year around in North Dakota.

What????

ClearCreek

What????

ClearCreek
Using water as bait in north dakota is legal as the current law is written..you can still also bait year around in state.

EHD midge hang out around water lines.. That's what i meant by water dependent.

Regardless of all this Cwd and Ehd mumbo jumbo, why do North Dakotans insist on baiting? Heck Utah even banned it. That should tell you something
Because why not? Look at public land opportunities in this state vs others. Also look at the terrain in nodak.. Spot and stalk is awesome. Just not feasible when you can watch your dog run away for 3 days lol

Because why not? Look at public land opportunities in this state vs others. Also look at the terrain in nodak.. Spot and stalk is awesome. Just not feasible when you can watch your dog run away for 3 days lol
Spot and stalk is one technique. Definitely not the only one. You’re not trying very hard if you can not come up with another option to baiting in flat terrain. Bottom line baiting is not fair chase. Why not just legalize aerial gunning? Of course you got to draw the line somewhere right? Why not have some self respect? I mean even utah…come on

Is baiting even a very effective technique? Do many old mature bucks get harvested on bait piles? Maybe I am ignorant to the ways of the master baiters?

Is baiting even a very effective technique? Do many old mature bucks get harvested on bait piles? Maybe I am ignorant to the ways of the master baiters?
We also used it as a tool to get tons of kids involved.. Also many adults their first deer.

Our family has been very fortunate. Even after the baiting ban do to other techniques we have put into place (dug waterholes, shelter belts, food plots, hunting natural scrapes) we've been very very fortunate to harvest some very good whitetails..but in the years since baiting has been banned only 2 kids from our local youth archery program have harvested deer from our stands. Prior to the ban, it was multiple kids per year.

Our family will still hunt, and with better success than most because of practices we have implemented, but others aren't so lucky. We liked to share some of the riches with others and that hasn't been as possible the last couple years. The retention of youth that have continued to bow hunt from our youth archery program has dwindled.. A majority of them are kids from town that aren't landowners, and although they might find access, all the good hunting properties are already being hunted. Prior to the ban, kids had interaction with more wildlife, and fell in love with it and it stuck. Now to find time between school and sports.. And to pull someone from a TV or Xbox is harder and harder. Those first impressions mean so much..a positive first impression, even without harvest something but having lots of wildlife, bit just deer, interacting can be the difference between a bow collecting dust and a kid picking up a passion for life.

Do it for the children…
Or the disabled.. Or hell, anyone that wants to becuase thats a choice they should be able to make if they so choose. We've learned through the years government intervention works so well all the time..

If I don't hunt over another bait pile in my life so be it, life continues and I hunt how we are now and still harvest great deer.. But I want it to be proved beyond a might or maybe that a bait pile is going to specifically increase CWD prevalence over nature deer to deer interaction and in turn decimate herds when the average life span of a deer in north dakota is 3.5 years.. Not if or possible or maybe. Because maybe it doesn't.. And if it does, they can always go through the legislature with the science they've found and make it illegal statewide like they have tried twice already and failed

Lame.......

The Culicoides midge travels north on hurricane winds. 2022 the hurricane season started late and there were no problems. But, in 2021 hurricane season started a month early. They killed deer, elk, cattle and bison in ND.

The trouble is they get going in September. Fly season is over and ranchers pull their treatment plan or do not re-supply fly control. Midge feed on cattle and then deer. They can kill cattle but would have to be chewed on about 3000 times in one night.

The midge has a rather clear exoskeleton and does not like direct sunlight. They live on the shaded side of reeds and climb down to the water line. They come out late evening and can buzz miles on a calm night.
Spraying around waterholes for the midge would be more productive at saving deer then baiting restrictions have been at saving deer from CWD.

Anyways, back to HB 1151.. Anyone want to take a crack at the questions posed in any of my previous questions. Specifically my first post?
Just…no.

This place has gone full Facebook. I give up. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Or the disabled.. Or hell, anyone that wants to becuase thats a choice they should be able to make if they so choose. We've learned through the years government intervention works so well all the time..

If I don't hunt over another bait pile in my life so be it, life continues and I hunt how we are now and still harvest great deer.. But I want it to be proved beyond a might or maybe that a bait pile is going to specifically increase CWD prevalence over nature deer to deer interaction and in turn decimate herds when the average life span of a deer in north dakota is 3.5 years.. Not if or possible or maybe. Because maybe it doesn't.. And if it does, they can always go through the legislature with the science they've found and make it illegal statewide like they have tried twice already and failed
Ok disabled and children can bait anyone else caught baiting $20k in fines, loss of equipment, and lifetime hunting ban...

What a joke, it's always kids and the disabled excuse.

So yo
Ok disabled and children can bait anyone else caught baiting $20k in fines, loss of equipment, and lifetime hunting ban...

What a joke, it's always kids and the disabled excuse
Who holds the game and fish accountable then? Advisory board meetings don't work. Concerns about all topics are turned on a deaf ear, they do it becuase it's required of them.

Have you watched Bahnsons testimony from the capital? He contradicts himself multiple times, and is the game and fish state wildlife vet.

Like I said, we haven't baited since the ban has been put in place and have killed deer most people will never get a chance to see in a lifetime so this is what it is to me.. But this is about more then a baiting bill. Check and balances, but who is the checks and balances for the game and fish? All they have to do is prove beyond a reasonable doubt, and if they can, this bill should fail easily. If they can't and the opposition raises enough red flags, this bill has a chance to pass.

Just…no.

This place has gone full Facebook. I give up. 🤦🏻‍♀️
And yet again.. Not one attempt at answering my questions. Deflect and move on.

If my questions and statements in the first post hold 0 validity someone wpuld have shot them down by now, or at least taken a Crack at rebutale..

I just can’t believe the stupid shit I read on this site sometimes. EHD outbreaks in northern latitudes have about zero to do with hurricane season in the south, but please carry on. It’s never too early to day drink.

In general, adult biting midges are short-lived and only a few individuals survive longer than 10 to 20 days. During this time, females may feed on hosts multiple times [11].

Must be a hell of a migration.

1675608732064.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back