PEAX Equipment

ND Badlands mule deer

captscott34

Hello all. Considering an archery mule deer hunt in the badlands area of North Dakota. It looks as though the tags are pretty much guaranteed according to the ND Game and Fish website. I have not hunted North Dakota before. What can I expect in terms of land access, areas to hunt, camping/backpacking/walk-in opportunities, and the best time to try and go? I am not looking for a "trophy" hunt, just opportunity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Capt, land access is a no-brainer if your looking at the Badlands, as a vast chunk of it is public land, and the areas that aren't are usually pretty accepting of archery hunters. Gun hunters, well not as much... Best time to go is a tougher question. It's a long season, early season you can expect 90degrees and rattle snakes, late season, snow and -40 wind chill isn't uncommon. Just ask Big Fin.

In regards to "tags are pretty much guaranteed according to the ND Game and Fish website", that could be in for a major overhall for the 2015 season if the State G&F gets its way. Right now they are proposing a one tag per hunter policy. One tag, you pick if you want archery, rifle, black powder, gratis. As it is now, you can buy an OTC archery (resident), put in for rifle drawing, and put in for muzzy drawing. Not sure what the effect will be on non-residents, but it's gonna be change for residents.

Hope it helps,
Scott

capt- Archery tags for any deer are not guaranteed for NR archer.

http://gf.nd.gov/news/nonresident-any-deer-bow-licenses-0

Any whitetail tags are pretty much OTC.

Draw the tag and we can chat further. As mentioned, access is not an issue. More public land than you can hunt in a lifetime. Weather, you can get frostbite on your sunburn. Wind, yup. Fun-absolutely.

Last edited:
Capt,

Non-Resident ANY DEER archery tags and not guaranteed as they are a lottery. Whitetails are OTC. Like mrmedora said, BIG changes are coming to our state next year. If you do put in and draw a tag, I would personally hunt early season. It can be super hot and dry but to me that is always better than -40 wind chill and a bow in your hand. Velvet bucks are pretty patternable if they haven't been bumped or hunted yet. As far as backpacking goes, there really isn't a point. We don't really have many areas that are 10 miles by 10 miles of roadless areas. Also, the only water source may be a nasty creekbed or a cattle tank. We are able to drive section lines in ND and there are a lot of roads throughout the badlands that people drive so your typical hike to "get away" from people is going to be 1-3 miles before coming to another road. Whatever you do, do not go when it is raining or really wet conditions.....the badlands are pure clay and can become quite miserable in wet conditions. Good Luck

Thank you for all of the info. I am going to put in for the draw and see what happens (with the changes to ND). Again, the information is greatly appreciated.

Capt,

Non-Resident ANY DEER archery tags and not guaranteed as they are a lottery. Whitetails are OTC. Like mrmedora said, BIG changes are coming to our state next year. If you do put in and draw a tag, I would personally hunt early season. It can be super hot and dry but to me that is always better than -40 wind chill and a bow in your hand. Velvet bucks are pretty patternable if they haven't been bumped or hunted yet. As far as backpacking goes, there really isn't a point. We don't really have many areas that are 10 miles by 10 miles of roadless areas. Also, the only water source may be a nasty creekbed or a cattle tank. We are able to drive section lines in ND and there are a lot of roads throughout the badlands that people drive so your typical hike to "get away" from people is going to be 1-3 miles before coming to another road. Whatever you do, do not go when it is raining or really wet conditions.....the badlands are pure clay and can become quite miserable in wet conditions. Good Luck
Hello, i know it’s an old thread but i can’t find draw odds for NR archery any deer tags. I’m interested in trying it someday

Hello, i know it’s an old thread but i can’t find draw odds for NR archery any deer tags. I’m interested in trying it someday
Draw odds are around 50% with 0 points, and you can only accumulate points by applying for the tag. It's a pretty good archery hunt, long season, good deer numbers and light to moderate pressure.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back