Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 7mm-08 140 grain Nosler Accubond

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • 7mm-08 150 grain ELD-X

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

USAF Ret

Need to work a load up for NC deer. Expectation are shots no longer than 200 yards. Got time to work up a couple of loads. Rifles are

Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor - I have a good amount of time behind this rifle. It is set up more for the bench with a Tactical scope, but it eats just about everything. Light enough to pack in and hunt from a stand.

CVA Cascade - Less time behind rifle, but I have two other Cascades and they are super accurate. Scope is much better for hunting.

If i am over thinking it I like the 125 partition or the 140 accubond

I would go with the accubond...deer are small in these parts..NP work but unless you hit CNS they are gonna run. IMO accubonds seem to dump more energy into the animal where as the NP blow straight thru. I switched over to ABs 5 or so years ago from partitions.

I'll never shoot another animal with those ELDX bullets. They shoot great on paper but basically explode inside the animal with almost 0 weight retention and are just not for me. If you want a ton of expansion the SST is plenty of bullet here's the exit from a sst 30-06 on a antelope.20190916_173129.jpg

Here's a 130 gr 270 accubond I found just under the off side skin of a deer I shot at 210 yards. He ran 40 yards flopped over destroyed his lungs and had over 80% weight retention. 20211120_115433.jpg20211120_115436.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the 6.5 but of you go that route definitely the Partitions. Best bullet out there IMO.

Last edited:
I would stick with copper to avoid too much cranberry sauce. 140 ballistic tips from a 7-08 tend to ruin both shoulders even if you hit them in the ribs.

Any of those will kill any deer in NC at 200 yds or less. I’ve killed a pile of NC deer with plain old hornady 130 grain bullets in a 270. Also recently been using accubonds. They work well also and have not damaged a lot of meat.

if I was starting from scratch I’d choose a fairly lightweight mono or a heavy or round nose cup & core that shoots well. No need to frag grenade your close range deer with an explosive bullet and waste so much meat or spread lead everywhere. Also there is no need for heavy jacket or bonded bullets for whitetail at modest ranges.

Any of them will work just fine on whitetails. I would probably go with the sst bullets. My experience has been they are easy to develop loads for and I have yet to find a rifle that doesn't shoot them well. Accurate, relatively cheap, and very devastating on deer size game.

Alright, I am drilling down on the 140 AB for the 7mm-08. I see negative and positive comments on the Hornady bullets. I ran some testing on Varget with pretty crappy results. I am going to try the Staball 6.5. I got really stable velocities with the Hornady bullets with that powder.

Oh, and I also have some CX bullets. Saving those for a possible elk hunt.

Thanks all.

Strange Varget isn't working for you. It's a Go-To powder for a ton of us. I know RL-15 very well in my 7/08 and gives me respectable groups & velocity.

At 200 yds, or less, you won't need sub MOA. Don't waste time/$$/frustrations chasing it.

I actually have one of the Big Game loads that was promising. 45.5 grains at 2738fps Avg. ES of 7 and SD of 5. I had one flier in the group and not sure if it was me, so I need to run a couple of group tests. Thanks.

Shot the Nosler Partition for years and like the Accubond too. Mostly in 30 caliber but either will work fine in your guns. I've seen the SST make some big holes too I pass on those bullets. Good luck this season.

Shot the Nosler Partition for years and like the Accubond too. Mostly in 30 caliber but either will work fine in your guns. I've seen the SST make some big holes too I pass on those bullets. Good luck this season.
You don't like the SST bullets?

My vote is always for an all copper bullet personally!

I won't go through the details but no lead in your diet is always a good thing to strive for, especially for kids if you have them

I have had good accuracy with the SST in a 270 with 60 grains/H4831 and a 130gr. bullet. But they did more explosive damage and I did not find the good mushroom I prefer. I think it leaves a large exit hole sometimes. I guess I like the ole bullet found under the opposite shoulder deal and no big hole. But you may like them they were accurate in a 700 BDL in 270 I have.

Back