Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nathan foster’s website? Any opinions?

I love to hunt Cape Buffalo and when Barnes came out with their TSX I switched to that in 400 grain 416 cal for my 416 Rigby and since then have taken a couple dozen Buff with no problems at all. A few I used the same bullet in my 416 Remington. I was more focused on efficient killing rather then concern about meat for the table.

Last edited:
I’ll take my lead ingestion guidance from doctors instead of Hunt Talk. I could care less what bullet people use, but suggesting mono bullets are inhumane is simply ridiculous.
N=8 but folks on hunttalk are more familiar with the literature than your primary care doctor.

All those doctors agreed that the lead blood tests people take are sketchy at best for this kind of thing, but that knowingly ingesting lead is stupid and that my switching to copper was a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange a lot of folks are so worried about eating big game shot with lead core bullets yet eat lots of upland birds and doves killed with lead shot. I’ve killed a handful of elk, dozens of deer and hundreds of pigs with probably 20 different bullets including TTSX’s, grand slams, corelocks, ballistic tips, accubonds, and more recently Berger’s and in every instance that the bullet hit the lungs/vitals like it was supposed to the critters died - I will say a copper bullet through the ribs and lungs on a deer will likely result in a longer tracking job than cup and core bullets, but it will still be dead at the end of the blood trail.

Strange a lot of folks are so worried about eating big game shot with lead core bullets yet eat lots of upland birds and doves killed with lead shot. I’ve killed a handful of elk, dozens of deer and hundreds of pigs with probably 20 different bullets including TTSX’s, grand slams, corelocks, ballistic tips, accubonds, and more recently Berger’s and in every instance that the bullet hit the lungs/vitals like it was supposed to the critters died - I will say a copper bullet through the ribs and lungs on a deer will likely result in a longer tracking job than cup and core bullets, but it will still be dead at the end of the blood trail.
Lead shot isn’t traveling fast enough to fragment, a bullet is. A longer tracking job hasn’t been my experience with copper bullets, or my friends and relatives who use copper bullets, but I understand that some folks have had different experiences.

Lead shot isn’t traveling fast enough to fragment, a bullet is. A longer tracking job hasn’t been my experience with copper bullets, or my friends and relatives who use copper bullets, but I understand that some folks have had different experiences.
I’ve had numerous bang flops with copper bullets - but only when the bullet hit the shoulder or heavy bone. Don’t misunderstand, I’m a big fan of the TTSX and load it for my kids .243 and .308 and my 300wsm. To the original post I would say calling copper bullets “inhumane” is ridiculous.

I'm not all that freaked out about ingesting lead, but it's a consideration, as is the amount of lead left in gut piles/carcasses that gets passed on to other creatures who can't handle the lead as well.
At this point, I'm switched over to non-toxics for everything except upland birds. I'm just not that concerned about turkeys, since I shoot them in the head. For pheasants and grouse, I suspect I'll have switched over the all steel within the next year or two. There are good options now, they just take planning to get ahold of (at least around here).
My experiences shooting critters with all-copper bullets have been very positive. Everything I've shot with a ttsx has dropped in its tracks. I haven't killed anything with the e-tip yet, but I'm hoping to this year. Based on what it did in water jugs, I suspect it will perform beautifully. Just be a bit conservative about velocity. My own rule of thumb is to try and keep velocity up above 2200fps with most monos.

To say that all-copper bullets are inhumane is just absurd.

Attachments

• IMG_3760(1).JPG
    IMG_3760(1).JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 7
Nathan has some good information.
Some, i don't agree with.
As with any article of information, take out of it what applies to you.

I don't think I've ever seen, heard, or read of someone getting lead poisoning from killing an animal with lead. I may be wrong, but it's not a high concern for me.
I didn't want my kids and wife being a potential data point. YMMV.

I didn't want me, my wife, or my kids to go hungry based on an assumption that has never affected our grandparents or extended families. YMMV as well.
I'm not sure why you would go hungry. Lead is bad for you. Lead fragments are found in surrounding muscle tissue. It's 'Merica. Use what you want. Never said you shouldn't.

Can't tell me you never killed anything with lead and then ate it with your family.
When did I ever say that? I think you just want a pissing match. I did a number of things when I was younger and dumber that I wouldn't do now. I drank beer through a funnel when I was 19. I don't now. I haven't killed an animal with a lead based bullet in 21 years.

Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back