Mystery Ranch Pop-up 28

PaulRevere

I'm new to hunting and have not invested in a meat hauling pack. I have a Lowe Alpine pack that I use for spiking out, but after a brutal bear pack out last week I decided it's time to upgrade my day pack. For day hunting I've been using a Mystery Ranch Hardscrabble, I tied a Alps Mountaineering gun sling to the bottom and can very easily attach my rifle and carry all the food, water and gear for long days. I've loved my Mystery Ranch bag and have been eye balling the Mystery Ranch Pop-up 28. I appreciate that it is a pretty basic day pack but that the couple days a year I might be lucky enough to be hauling meat, I'd have a comfortable way to load it up. Also, if I wanted to do one night trips in the summer for scouting or shed hunting I might be able to use the shelf to load up my sleeping bag and tent.

Does anyone have any input??

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Popup is a pretty small pack. I'm not sure I'd want to try to squeeze gear for an overnight or weekend in it. I think something in the 3500cuin would suit you better especially if it gets cold and you need an extra layer

The Popup is a pretty small pack. I'm not sure I'd want to try to squeeze gear for an overnight or weekend in it. I think something in the 3500cuin would suit you better especially if it gets cold and you need an extra layer

Thanks for the response Mthuntr. Truly, I have a solid overnight pack so I probably wouldn't use this for that. How do you feel it would rank as just a day hunting pack?

I'd take a look at the MR Pintler size.

Thanks Boomerusaf. The price comparison there is pretty big. 299 vs. 475, not sure I'd be willing to spend that much. I also have 240 store credit to Schnee's and they have the Pop-up available. I was thinking it'd be a good investment for the 59 dollars I'd have to shell out. The Women's Pintler is bad ass though, I tried it on at Bob Ward's and loved it

I've been using one for the last couple years and have been pretty happy with it. It does pack down small, and is comfortable pack to put a lot of miles in.

No, it's not as stout as the full size bags, but if you're smaller statured that's okay. I know for me whether a pack can handle 100 or 120 lbs is irrelevant because I personally can't.

I hauled a lot of meat with mine last year, and have had some big loads of sheds this spring. As long as I keep the loads down around 70 lbs the pack does it's job.

I have had some really high end bags ti compare it to, also.

I bought a pop up 28 this last winter on the recommendation of a friend and fellow HTer, Ratfink, who also has one. I love mine. Granted, I haven’t had to haul meat yet since I’ve only had it a few months. But I used it frequently for day hunts this bear season and it is a solid bag and well thought out. I think a guy could even get by with it for one or two nights by hauling the tent and backpack in the meat section on the way in. I especially like the interior pouch for a hydration bladder (I dang near refuse to hunt without my camelback anymore) with a small slit on both sides for the drinking tube to come out over either the left or right shoulder. It has plenty of room for my game cleaning gear, some extra clothes, snack, and miscellaneous. In addition, I put a Kifaru gun bearer sling on mine and the whole set up is so comfy and well fitting, I can hike all day.

I've been using one for the last couple years and have been pretty happy with it. It does pack down small, and is comfortable pack to put a lot of miles in.

No, it's not as stout as the full size bags, but if you're smaller statured that's okay. I know for me whether a pack can handle 100 or 120 lbs is irrelevant because I personally can't.

I hauled a lot of meat with mine last year, and have had some big loads of sheds this spring. As long as I keep the loads down around 70 lbs the pack does it's job.

I have had some really high end bags ti compare it to, also.

This is the response I was looking for, thanks!

I bought a pop up 28 this last winter on the recommendation of a friend and fellow HTer, Ratfink, who also has one. I love mine. Granted, I haven’t had to haul meat yet since I’ve only had it a few months. But I used it frequently for day hunts this bear season and it is a solid bag and well thought out. I think a guy could even get by with it for one or two nights by hauling the tent and backpack in the meat section on the way in. I especially like the interior pouch for a hydration bladder (I dang near refuse to hunt without my camelback anymore) with a small slit on both sides for the drinking tube to come out over either the left or right shoulder. It has plenty of room for my game cleaning gear, some extra clothes, snack, and miscellaneous. In addition, I put a Kifaru gun bearer sling on mine and the whole set up is so comfy and well fitting, I can hike all day.

Awesome, this is exactly what I was hoping the pack would be for me. Thanks a ton!

Does anyone have photos of the Kifaru GunBearer connected to their Pop Up 28? Would love to see how well it works. Thanks in advance

20180914_085825.jpgI have the pop 18, it's great little day pack. Hauls a load decent though not as good as my full MR guide lite frame or my Kifaru....however for what it is the pop frame works very well, no problem packing an elk out last season

Does anyone have photos of the Kifaru GunBearer connected to their Pop Up 28? Would love to see how well it works. Thanks in advance

I don't have a photo of one on a pop up but I own two of them and can tell you that they have had a very significant impact on everything from scouting to hunting. I can't live without one! Will never use a sling again. Just the ability to hike hands free or with trecking poles is a game changer. I can't imagine that it would be any different "regardless" of pack. The Gun Bearer is pretty non specific when it comes to what pack it will fit on. Heck I could probably fit it to my nephews school bag!

I am not a spokesman at all for Kifaru but I can tell you that in the past 3 years (I spend between 70-80 days a year in the field scouting and hunting) I have used the hell out of the gun bearer. I can't imagine being in the mountains without one now aside from Archery season. Genius product!

My .02

I just threw it on for a picture, so the gun bearer isn't exactly fine tuned for carry angle. Hopefully that gives you an idea. I'd also move the GPS holster to the other side when using the gun bearer but couldn't be bothered to move it now.

I just threw it on for a picture, so the gun bearer isn't exactly fine tuned for carry angle. Hopefully that gives you an idea. I'd also move the GPS holster to the other side when using the gun bearer but couldn't be bothered to move it now.
Looks awesome! You a big fan of the lack? Any wishes for changes you wish it had.
I am looking for a day pack and this one keeps coming up.

Looks awesome! You a big fan of the lack? Any wishes for changes you wish it had.
I am looking for a day pack and this one keeps coming up.

The pack has worked really well and is comfortable. I just wish I had gone with something bigger. You have to pare down what you take. I'm trying to find some bags that will fit in the meat shelf to expand storage for days when I need to pack heavier clothing or carry extra gear.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back