MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mystery ranch Crew cab pack

Hntnhrd

I searched the archives and it seems this pack comes with high praise. I have a Crooked horn pack that is starting to come apart and a cableas alakan frame that I have destroyed ( supports have brokena , buckles and straps have broken). So time for some new gear.
But my question is when I went to the site the Nice frame is 250.00 and the crewcab is 240.00 for a total of 490.00 ( pretty good math skills huh?)
Now cabelas has it for 419.00
Is it the same pack? looks the same and the specs appear to be the same. What could be the difference?

I have 140.00 worth of cableas bucks ( plus 70 dollars cheaper price) so I would much rather buy it through them.
Any thoughts?

The Mystery Ranch packs offered by Cabelas are made to MR's specifications by Camelbak. I think they have a three year warranty instead of the lifetime warranty for MR-made packs.

Here is from the cableas site

Hunt the high country in comfort with all the gear you need, and a great platform for packing out game. The Crewcab™ is actually the pockets and bottom of the pack without the packbag itself. When expanded, it offers open space where the packbag would normally be. Fill this space with gear, game quarters, a jerry can or just about anything else. When folded flat with full pockets, the Crewcab's profile isn't much larger than a typical 3-day assault ruck. The 1900 cu. in. combined volume of the pockets equals about the same volume. It will easily haul another 4000-plus cu. in. in its payload, pushing a 6000 cu. in. load when required. A carbon fiber framed bottom folds tightly against the NICE® Frame, then deploys into a flat supported bottom for payload. Extremely durable 500-D Cordura construction. Built to military specifications. The NICE® Frame combines the comfort and flexibility of an internal frame pack with the versatility and load-hauling capacity of an external frame system. This frame is the foundation that can be adapted to various configurations to meet your specific needs. It features fully adjustable sizing to fit any individual and patented Lumbar Wrap technology that effectively transfers the load directly to the hips and back of the carrier. The advanced structure of the frame allows a modest amount of flex so the pack moves with the individual, while retaining the rigidity necessary for hauling massive, off-balance loads.
Color: Foliage
Volume: 1,900 cu. in.-6,000 cu. in.
Weight: 6 lbs. 8 oz.

Now the botachtical site that JMCD posted

he Crewcab is a highly versatile daypack for the NICE Frame system. Fully collapsed, it is no wider than the edge of the NICE Frame, yet allows easy access to the four separate compartments – perfect to organize a day’s load. The Crewcab is designed to also accommodate much larger loads. The long pockets will swing to sides to create a space contained by three separate panels. This space is large enough for multi-day loads, stacked ammo cans, large medic kits, or combinations of the various sizes of Mystery Ranch Load Cells. The Crewcab is the perfect pack for people who may encounter the need to expand or shrink their load while in the field. There is little this system cannot handle.
Features

When collapsed, the Crewcab is a 1200ci pack that will not interfere with intense motion.
CamelBakTM reservoirs fit in the back panel pocket that ports to the top of the pack.
A single adjustment adapts the Frame to your size with or without armor (yes, it works with interceptor!).
The Daypack Lid (purchased separately) will strap on top of the system for extra storage, or to contain overloads.

Are these two different packs? the cabelas add says the compressed pack is 1900 ci and the cheaper pack (330.00) says it is 1200ci.
Should I be concerned with the differnce in warranties? Seems like 90.00 on a 500.00 pack would be worth it if it is a true lifetime warranty with no limitations.
Thanks for the help.

I'm almost positive they are the same bag. Not sure where the size discrepency is coming from. If you want to be even more confused, go look at the MR website. It says in the specs that the Crewcab is 1400ci, then in the description it says 1900ci. I thought the difference might be the optional lid, but I don't think so.

At any rate, I would check to make sure that the Cabelas pack doesn't come with the optional lid (which is priced at $90 and would explain the difference between the two prices). IMO, if the difference in price is only $90, I would pay extra for the warranty. I'm sure that MR will honor their warranty, as long as they are in business.

*Edit - Didn't see your last post. I see that you already saw the MR website. ;)

Hntnhrd & Oak,

I'm not sure but I think the pack in Cabelas and the one from the link I posted are both made by Camelbak. If so, wouldn't you still get the three-year warranty?
The differing volume specs are confusing for sure. To tell you the truth I never looked that closely. The pack looked identical to the one on MR website. It would be nice to find out.
I'm actually trying really hard myself to resist the urge to buy a crewcab for my NICE frame as well.

Yeah, they're both made by CamelBak and would come with the 3 year warranty. I'm sure they are exactly the same pack. The only question is whether the Cabelas pack comes with anything additional like the lid (which is not shown in their photos). That might be the difference between the 1200 and 1900ci figures, as well as the $90 in price. All things being equal, the botachtical deal is pretty good.

BTW Hntnhrd, if you decide to go through MR, I wouldn't wait a few months to order. I'd order it as quickly as you can, because they often get several months behind on orders.

If I remember right the 'lid' is about 900ci?

I bought the Crewcab, lid and 2 large load cells (1200ci I think). Fully loaded its kind of cumbersome (wide and bulky) but worked well for a 4 day trip. I could have easily got by for a week, I just needed to toss in a little more food and I would have been good to go.

I'm pretty sure they're all the same bags (or made to the same spec), one made in the USA, the other made in China or somewhere.

IMO its a tough call on the warranty thing. Cabelas will usually take just about anything back no questions asked, and either exchange or credit you for the purchase price. Both MR and Cabelas will be around for a long time.

At least 3 weeks ago Mystery Ranch had some Camo crew cabs in stock. They may be gone now but you have to call and talk to the guys at the shop. My buddy picked one up they are pretty cool.

My Crew Cab had a tear up top where the top pack buckles to it. I sent it back December 4th. It was back in my hot little hands by December 13th. All I paid was to ship it to Montana. I think there was a problem with my buckles as now they are not loose and sloppy. I saw my buddies new pack and the design is different up top now. No worries.

This pciture kind of sealed the deal on which pack to get ( I swiped it from another site);) .

I made a deal with the wife this morning. I have packed on 18 pounds since the end of hunting season. I kept eating the same as during the season and doing nothing. :eek: When I take it off the order goes in!!!

160 dollar differnce has me thinking though.

Attachments

• Corylion007.jpg
    Corylion007.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 22,175
It looks like the camo one holding the cat. Just the Crew cab is camo. The Frame is still the solid colors.

The first time you kill a bull and get more than a quarter out the first trip without crippling yourself with a sloppy bloody quarter over you shoulder, or tied to some weak ass pack with barb wire for shoulder straps................................the $160 will not even cross your mind.

Plus the bastards on Huntalk are responsible for me shelling out the cash...............I have to return the favor:D

How about two boned out quarters from a mountain goat 7 miles in a day pack with no frame at all? I would have paid a thousand bucks for one of these packs this fall.

Thanks for the input. I think the next time I am going by Bozeman I will stop in a bite the bullet. I agree about Bastards on this site;) .

Just today a good friend and I were talking about our MR packs. We both came to the conclusion that the most versital bag on the NICE is the 6000. If I were limited to ONE bag it would be the 6000, no question. My buddy Doug said the same thing.

I think right now for hunting purposes the best combo to have is the crew cab and the 6000 CI bag. If I didnt use my MR for work, I wouldnt have bought the 4000 CI bag and would have went with the crew cab instead. But the 4000 is ideal for work.

The crew cab is good for certain applications, but I dont care for it when hauling in gear for like a week long hunt. The 6000 shines in that situation. Its also better (IMO) to use the 6000 for hauling dead elk than the crew cab.

I feel the perfect application for the crew cab is to use it like a day pack that you can expand to haul the first load of elk meat back to the truck. From there, I'd use the 6000...the load rides way better and you can really strap it down.

The MR NICE is one of the best investments I've ever made. Between March and December I use it nearly every day. Not showing any real signs of breaking down in 3 tough years of use. Top notch equipment.

I've finally got one budgeted for this year. I'm for sure going to pick up a crew cab and then later maybe swing for a larger capacity Camelback branded bag just to save a little money. I'll probably make a swing up to Bozeman to get mine rather than get it online.

The crewcab is one versitle little bag. Like Bambistew, i bought a couple extra gear bags but i didnt buy the expensive MR ones. I went on ebay and found a couple GI surplus sleep systems bags that were about the same size for 12$ each.
Here's the Crewcab with 55 pounds of boned out meat + whatever that head was, plus gear. Only awkward because it was out the sides a bit but bearable for the 3 mile hike.
MTdeerhunt07heavypack.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back