My sister's first buck

RidgeRoamingRichard

My sister decided to hunt this year, which shocked us all, as she was never really an outdoorsy person. We started this summer, hiking and scouting, getting in shape for the task. We also worked on shooting, making sure she was comfortable with the gun and could shoot in various positions. She finished her hunters safety course and took her bear ID test, got her gear, and was ready to try it.

Our bear camp was super exciting; we saw moose, deer, bighorn sheep...pretty much everything other than bears. She put on a lot of miles with no complaint, blew on a predator call in griz country, and dealt with the dissapointment of an unsuccessful hunt well.

When opening day rolled around, we headed up to family land in NE Montana. We set out early the first morning, with temps hovering right below zero. We worked a finger ridge, glassing the basins and looking for brown and white bodies in a sea of brown and white. Not long into the hunt, we spotted a couple bucks bedding at the head of the drainage across from us, about 1000 yards out. She decided he was big enough, and we set out. We worked our way to the bottom, crossing low and slow when we thought we were visible, checking the wind and scanning for other deer that might bust us. When we got to the end of his drainage, we started up the opposite wall, planning to belly crawl across the top until we were in view. We dropped our pack and slid up to the top of the knoll, silently crept past a snoozing doe, and got settled in on top. As we laid in the snow, sizing up our query, my pride swelled. Katy assessed the situation, chose to shoot the smaller buck who offered a better shot, and delivered 2 rounds through his lungs. She gave him a good end, and he gave her an unmatched sense of accomplishment.

We quartered him and hauled him out, all the while reliving our 1.5 hr stalk. We've since processed him and sent away our cwd sample. Sis plans to euro the skull and tan the hide fur-off. I couldn't be prouder and would be perfectly happy to end my hunting season now, but now its time to get her on some elk!
1025201402a.jpg
1025201300.jpg
1024201517.jpg1024201324c.jpg

My sister decided to hunt this year, which shocked us all, as she was never really an outdoorsy person. We started this summer, hiking and scouting, getting in shape for the task. We also worked on shooting, making sure she was comfortable with the gun and could shoot in various positions. She finished her hunters safety course and took her bear ID test, got her gear, and was ready to try it.

Our bear camp was super exciting; we saw moose, deer, bighorn sheep...pretty much everything other than bears. She put on a lot of miles with no complaint, blew on a predator call in griz country, and dealt with the dissapointment of an unsuccessful hunt well.

When opening day rolled around, we headed up to family land in NE Montana. We set out early the first morning, with temps hovering right below zero. We worked a finger ridge, glassing the basins and looking for brown and white bodies in a sea of brown and white. Not long into the hunt, we spotted a couple bucks bedding at the head of the drainage across from us, about 1000 yards out. She decided he was big enough, and we set out. We worked our way to the bottom, crossing low and slow when we thought we were visible, checking the wind and scanning for other deer that might bust us. When we got to the end of his drainage, we started up the opposite wall, planning to belly crawl across the top until we were in view. We dropped our pack and slid up to the top of the knoll, silently crept past a snoozing doe, and got settled in on top. As we laid in the snow, sizing up our query, my pride swelled. Katy assessed the situation, chose to shoot the smaller buck who offered a better shot, and delivered 2 rounds through his lungs. She gave him a good end, and he gave her an unmatched sense of accomplishment.

We quartered him and hauled him out, all the while reliving our 1.5 hr stalk. We've since processed him and sent away our cwd sample. Sis plans to euro the skull and tan the hide fur-off. I couldn't be prouder and would be perfectly happy to end my hunting season now, but now its time to get her on some elk!
View attachment 160049
View attachment 160050
View attachment 160051View attachment 160052
That second picture is really cool! Congrats to you both!

We just got her first turkey this evening. In fact it was my first turkey, but I wanted her to take the shot. She delivered a perfect shot, right through the neck. There were birds flying all around us, but she stayed cool and focused on her target. So happy to finally get one of these incredible birds on the ground. They ran me ragged this spring. Hopefully I can go back and get one tomorrow!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back