PEAX Equipment

My Quest for Caribou

Buffy...some great 'bous and a dandy ox too. You should go on one more hunt to Newfoundland for a Woodland and have your "Grand Slam" of 5 species as recognized by B&C. You have 4 nice now! And I like your methodology of getting the first crack if you are the oldest!
Thanks to all of you that have commented and liked my caribou post. Hunting and shooting has been a big part of my life for over 50 years, and I've been very lucky to have taken some great trophies and it was a great honor to be invited and to attend the Boone & Crockett 30th Big Game Awards Ceremony in Springfield, MO.

Blockcarver, Actually I went to Newfoundland last September on a combination Woodland caribou and moose hunt. I think that was my 15th guided hunt, and the first one where I didn't fire a shot. It was a week long hunt that consisted of driving the back roads on an ATV, glassing the bogs from high points, and walking out in the bogs searching for caribou or moose.

My guide and I didn't see any caribou all week. We saw caribou tracks on some of the roads, including 2 sets within 50 yards of our spike camp, and the bogs were crisscrossed with deep caribou trails, but no caribou. Two of the other hunters in the main camp missed shots at caribou, and of course their guides said that those caribou were two of the largest bulls that they had ever seen. Right! :rolleyes:

We did see some moose, but since I have two large Montana Shiras moose on my wall at home, I didn't want to shoot a small bull. On the first or second day we found a good bull that had probably the minimum size antlers that I was looking for, but he was outside of our moose unit. Throughout the week we saw 3 other bull moose in our unit and that I could have shot, but being a trophy hunter I was just too picky.

A Woodland caribou is still at the top of my bucket list, so maybe next year. :D

Back