Yeti GOBOX Collection

My nephew Ashton's buck...

My late son was autistic (high functioning). I think the rules may have been bent a bit when he took his boating license test. I don't know because my late wife was with him. They said he passed but for some reason the license never came. For better part of a year he checked the mailbox for it everyday. He died from a seizure in the night Christmas 2009. I called Red Cross the following Monday and told them how patiently he waited for that license and now it was too late. Courier brought it to the house a few hours later. I put it in his hand before the lid was closed.

So how did Ashton manage to get through hunters ed? That must have required something special.

My late son was autistic (high functioning). I think the rules may have been bent a bit when he took his boating license test. I don't know because my late wife was with him. They said he passed but for some reason the license never came. For better part of a year he checked the mailbox for it everyday. He died from a seizure in the night Christmas 2009. I called Red Cross the following Monday and told them how patiently he waited for that license and now it was too late. Courier brought it to the house a few hours later. I put it in his hand before the lid was closed.

So how did Ashton manage to get through hunters ed? That must have required something special.
In Ohio he can hunt under an apprentice license with my brothers (or licensed adult) supervision without taking the hunters ed course outright. I like that Ohio did this myself. It was meant to increase youth participation. So sorry for the loss of your son

This is so amazing. I have chills. I work with kids with disabilities/special needs everyday as a clinical director for a place that provides services for this population. So often, we as society put boundaries and artificial walls in front of our kids with special needs based on what we think they can do. Stories like this just go to help me remember that being 'real' with someone does not mean that we should shut them down when they dream and desire to do things with their lives. As society, we should be looking at what we can do to help make that happen for these kids. Thank you so much for sharing this and thank that dad for looking at how he can help make dreams come true by believing in that boy!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back