My hunt

lilbiggun

This is how my hunt went.

We got to Tok, had a few beers and got the gear ready. The next morning, woke up and went to the drop off point. The locals helped us out alot. In all we had 4 4 wheelers, 3 six-wheelers and a polaris ranger. To say we brought alot of crap was an understatement :D .

Drove in 10miles to a cabin that a guy in fairbanks was nice enough to let us use.
We got there, got comfortable and checked out the spotting hill. Lets just say this cabin was nice, it wasnt a shanty.

The next day we set the bait out. Now folks, these folks have a different idea of bait. We brought out 3 drums. One had a moose head from the last falls hunt. One had moose guts, one had parts of ducks that werent identifiable. Oh it smelled ripe. We also took some bacon grease out to sweeten it.

2 days after we set the bait out we had our first hit (that we seen). Now the spotting hill was a mile away. if we seen a bear through the spotting scope, we rode an ATV to for about 3/4 miles to a "lower spotting hill". If the bear was still there, we went up from there to see if we could kill it.

On the first hit, I went up and had no luck. I dont know what went wrong but hey thats hunting. A couple of hours later my buddy went up after another bear. This was the best part of the trip. He got the bear, but he seen his hear him and took off on a run. He shot that bear as it was running up hill. The best part was I watched it through a spotting scope. I hopped on a 6 wheeler and helped him out with the hard work.

Then it got hot. For 10 days nothing was moving. We stripped down to our skivies and played cribbage, periodically sending "sentries" up to the spotting hill to look for bear. we took a few rides out to look different areas for bears or sign and seen nothing recent. In the shade it was in the 80's and to warm for most critters to be moving. Then we headed to Porcupine creek. it was hot and need to get cooled off. This creek still had ice on the shores and we stripped off and had a dip. The water was cold as all get out but it refreshed us.

2 days ago went up to the sight to retrieve the barrels. It smelled worse then before. I threw up but oh well, shit happens. On the way up we seen a bear on the site. it was a cooler day but still warm. we put on the stalk. The bear elluded us again. It was real dry, leaves crackling and the wind was changing every 5 seconds. I would have been surprised if the bear was still there, besides I didnt even bring my rifle along.

The reason this was the best hunt was because of the fellowship involved. Everybody got along and we had fun. Ages ranged from 29-63 and it was a common bond. Locals came out of the wood work to help us out and didnt even stay to hunt, they just helped to haul gear out and turnaround and head to town. We got 1 bear out of 4 hunters but thats OK with me. it was worth it. I made alot of great friends and had a good time. A total stranger let me use his 4wheeler so we wouldnt have to double up on the ride.

I'll post pics, hopefully tomorrow I'll get them developed. great hunt, great memories, what more can you ask for.

Sorry you didn't get yur bear Joel but sounds like you had a good hunt anyway. Good story!
Can't wait to see the pics.
Welcome back.

Sounds like you had a good time any way, especially the part where your stomach got a little week. :D :D :D

Yeah it was a great hunt, but the weather didnt co-operate with us. The locals have never seen it this hot this early in the year.

Getting sick made me mad. That morning I had the best sourdough pancakes and thick cut bacon of my life and now they are sitting up on a hillside. They definitly tasted better the first time :D

I got the pics developed today and will hopefully get them scanned tomorrow. I'm heading down south looking for bear since it didnt get so hot down here.

Heres a few pics.
The first is our "shanty" we were staying in.

cabin.jpg

The second is of the bear my buddy got.

deadbear.jpg

The 3rd is a view from the spotting hill towards the hill where the bait was a mile away. Directly in front of the spotting scope is the hill.

spottinghill.jpg

Heres another pic. We were headed into a burn area to look for griz. This creek was about 10ft wide and 6ft deep. Luckily some local cut logs for a bridge.

creekcrossing.jpg

Thanks Joel. It looks as though you may have been having a good time up there :0

Looks like some damn nice country. Give congrats to the bear getter and thanks for the pics.

HEY LBG, I'm a little late in the Response to ya bud, Sorry

Sounds cool !!! Help me outthough, WERE you up there for 10 straight days ?!?!?

Also, I thought AK had like eleventy BILLION bears ? And don't black bear need to eat when It's warm to ?!?!

I think you guys should have taken a picture in your skivies ;) maybe all with hunttalk.com hats
HAHA !!

Glad you guys scored on a bear! The country looks like I expected it and looks to be very good, you guys stayed in a "TENT" "ROUGHING IT" I see ;)

moosie, actually we were hunting 11 days straight, but I dont really count half of the first and last day because of unpacking and packing.

Yup, bears need to eat, even in the heat, but if were smart we woulda had a river boat along and hit the cooler spots (near the river) for the bears. oh well, live and learn. we talked about a float/bait hunt for next year. kinda combining the 2.

Oh I got pics of us in our skivies while we were swimming but we didnt have any hats :D

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back