My Grinder Sucks - Grinder reviews

So I ordered the LEM #8 double today. As usual there was a glitch doing it online,so I called, & got a human.
The gal I talked to got everything figured out and even found me a promo code....20%...saved $100!
Now that is service.
Had I been smart enough to do that when shopping and gotten 20% off I probably would have ended up w a LEM big bite as well.

That said, just did 30lbs of grind last weekend in my new Meat! #12. Definitely a step up from my old grinder, and probably just a bit overkill for my needs. It's fast.

What I like:
- 2" diameter throat that doesn't taper, easy to feed. Honestly I feel like that was the biggest bottleneck (literally) w my first grinder
- didn't have to use the meat stomper at all
- much quieter than my old grinder
-added foot pedal and that seems like a good addition

What could be better:
- it's heavy (60-65lbs) but not a big deal I only use it once or twice a year
- comes w fine (4.5mm) and coarse (10mm) plates, neither of which are my preference...I realized we had been grinding once through a 7mm plate w my old #12 grinder, so just used that plate w new grinder

Other thoughts:
- used the 6" x 1" x 1" long strip of meat method mentioned in this thread, that works really well
- a couple LEM meat lugs makes the whole process go way faster
- pretty sure we trim excessively before we grind...takes a lot of time but the quality of final product is really good.

All told, took about 2.5 to 3 hrs to do 30lbs including setup, trim, grind, vac sealing, and cleanup. Actual grinding probably wasn't more than 15-20 mins of that

Had I been smart enough to do that when shopping and gotten 20% off I probably would have ended up w a LEM big bite as well.

That said, just did 30lbs of grind last weekend in my new Meat! #12. Definitely a step up from my old grinder, and probably just a bit overkill for my needs. It's fast.

What I like:
- 2" diameter throat that doesn't taper, easy to feed. Honestly I feel like that was the biggest bottleneck (literally) w my first grinder
- didn't have to use the meat stomper at all
- much quieter than my old grinder
-added foot pedal and that seems like a good addition

What could be better:
- it's heavy (60-65lbs) but not a big deal I only use it once or twice a year
- comes w fine (4.5mm) and coarse (10mm) plates, neither of which are my preference...I realized we had been grinding once through a 7mm plate w my old #12 grinder, so just used that plate w new grinder

Other thoughts:
- used the 6" x 1" x 1" long strip of meat method mentioned in this thread, that works really well
- a couple LEM meat lugs makes the whole process go way faster
- pretty sure we trim excessively before we grind...takes a lot of time but the quality of final product is really good.

All told, took about 2.5 to 3 hrs to do 30lbs including setup, trim, grind, vac sealing, and cleanup. Actual grinding probably wasn't more than 15-20 mins of that
Like minds....I thought the #22 might be a bit overkill for just me. And the 1/2 hp does seem light duty,but the vids I watched belayed that idea. And quiet.
I should be able to pretend it's a kettlebell,whatever that is...lol 30lbs or so,or half a header beam.
I'm also a med. grind type of guy too. So I'll order a 7mm plate too for burger. I like course sausage in patties.
Ordered the floor plate too. And a tote & lid to add to my bowls....
I'll also try the strip method for burger. Mixed 1" chunks should be a breeze for sausage,then add seasoning and into the food seal bags. Casings are too fussy for me,but might try it with this setup.

Merry Happy to me....oh. Delivery guy left it at the gate,and not in a bag as usual....covered in snow after the sleet.
Almost dry now. I have all the time in the world.

Those delivery guys are still waiting for a tow from Jerry.

Merry Happy to me....oh. Delivery guy left it at the gate,and not in a bag as usual....covered in snow after the sleet.
Almost dry now. I have all the time in the world.

Those delivery guys are still waiting for a tow from Jerry.
At least it wasn't your new album. Whoever John Prine is... 🙃

Let us know how that double grind works out. The design is interesting. Not sure how the knives BETWEEN the 2 plates would work. Squeezing through the first before getting cut and then cut again going out the 2nd seems like it would bind up in the throat. Must not, it's been selling.

Oh Boy Records would not let me down.

I had a Hobart double with similar set up,only 8hp & 200lbs....lol

My only concern is I like a courser sausage and they said just use the larger plate & go for it. & with my mix the chunks of fat & meat 1st method,should be a breeze. Hell I'll probably take up making links again.

I have a #22 1hp, and a #42 1 3/4 hp. I have also owned the manual cranks, little cheap small throated grinders and everything in between. I always say if you grind lots of meat buy the biggest throated grinder you can afford and be done with it. As someone who has ground lots of meat and fought little throated grinders for way too long, just get a big one and the first time you find that you just got through 40 pounds of meat on your first grind in less than 5 minutes, you will be happy you paid what you did.

I think you will like the "strip method" once you try it. Once the auger catches it, it's gone! I toss the smaller pieces in along the way and let the strips clean them out. Don't need to use the stomper very often. I have the #8 Carnivore from Cabelas and it does all I need. Enjoy!

I bought this about 15 years ago.

E10B6BDC-BEB4-442C-89F7-24FFA2FF6867.jpeg

It’s not awesome. I did about 75 pounds of burger on Friday. Start to finish was maybe six hours without a lot of urgency involved, and that included cleanup.

I agree on the strip method, far easier, especially if the meat is still icy.

01409632-A322-4110-A5D5-EF8FA637E487.jpeg

Every year when I get done making burger, I tell myself I should upgrade. I don’t, because I’m too cheap to, and then I tell myself the same thing next year. This grinder has saved me a lot of money over the years, plus the quality of burger is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I did about 40lbs of burger and 25lbs of sausage yesterday with our LEM Big Bite #12. We've had it since around 2016, passed down from my late father-in-law. That thing spits out ground meat as fast as you can load it. Only complaint is that it gets awfully warm after a big batch of meat.

20220109_112249.jpg

Last edited:
I am about to get started on 110 pounds more of game to grind today and i am done! Fire up the smoker: more snack sticks, ring bologna, few pounds of sweet Italian sauage, more smoked sauage and some extra bison burger with whatever is left. Been a busy meat processing season, and that is a good thing!

For all you guys grinding for sausage/snack sticks. Are you guys grinding with coarse plate? Fine plate? Twice? In the past I grinding with coarse thinking of switching that to either a second grind or fine plate the second time.

I had a shitty $39.99 one from sportsman’s that did 1lb an hour, totally piece of crap.

Looking for a grinder.

I hate “get … you’ll thank me later” reviews.

I probably average 50-100lbs of grind a year. If I get one I want to be able to do an elk solo in a sitting without going insane and/or taking all day.
We have had a LEM #8 500 watt for the past four seasons. Did 87½ lbs. of hamburger grind on it this year in about 3½ - 4 hours. Might have been quicker if we had had enough tubs to just keep grinding, but had to stop, bag and vacuum seal. Also, the knife has four seasons of grinding an average of seven deer per season. Will change knife and plate before next season. Main drawbacks are that you have to meticulously clean the tube and worm, and the knife and plate are not exactly cheap to replace. LEM recommends replacing the plate when the knife needs replacing.

For all you guys grinding for sausage/snack sticks. Are you guys grinding with coarse plate? Fine plate? Twice? In the past I grinding with coarse thinking of switching that to either a second grind or fine plate the second time.

I grind twice; coarse first then fine. I also put my meat, bowls, and grinding head in the freezer and get everything really cold before I grind because if it's almost frozen it's a lot easier to grind.

LEM 3/4 found a good deal on it used and couldn't ask for anything better. It has chewed up anything I've ever put through it.

Back