MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My Grinder Sucks - Grinder reviews

AvidIndoorsman

What do you have, what do you hate about it or would you look for if buying again.

Similar to the pack thread; everyone thinks that their product is the best thing since sliced bread but in reality every product has its downsides, better the devil you know.

Also feel free to include sausage stuffers, and other burger/ ground meat equipment reviews.

What do you have, what do you hate about it or would you look for if buying again.

Similar to the pack thread; everyone thinks that their product is the best thing since sliced bread but in reality product has its downsides, better the devil you know.

Also feel free to include sausage stuffers, and other burger/ ground meat equipment reviews.
Looking forward to responses I have an lem and I'm not that thrilled with it.

Probably just need to step up the hp.

We just replaced our 1/3 hp cabelas grinder last year with their 3/4 hp carnivore grinder. We e had great luck with their grinders. I wanted the 1 hp but it was always out of stock last year. All of the grinding we do is in 20-50# batches, so 3/4 is plenty. It’s a good grinder. The only negative to me is that it has a cold pack you keep in the freezer and wrap around part of the grinder to keep it from overheating during grinding. It’s only a slight annoyance to have to use and works as it’s supposed to.

What do you have that sucks, wllm?

I’m running this guy:

I mean, it works, I don’t feel like it’s hindering me necessarily. Could a bigger one do more faster, yeah, but I’m happy with it. That said, I’ve only put like 4 deer and two pronghorn through it. So never more than like 20 or 25 pounds of grinding in one session.
Because of it’s price, it’s inconveniences compared to nicer ones don’t really seem like inconveniences.

Someday I’ll be trying to put an elk through it and will probably realize i need go ahead and buy one with a little more oomph

Overall I feel like the cabelas meat grinders are just fine. This one has never not worked while grinding up the grind pile from an animal, and so far i can't see myself asking for much else.

Last edited:
We just replaced our 1/3 hp cabelas grinder last year with their 3/4 hp carnivore grinder. We e had great luck with their grinders. I wanted the 1 hp but it was always out of stock last year. All of the grinding we do is in 20-50# batches, so 3/4 is plenty. It’s a good grinder. The only negative to me is that it has a cold pack you keep in the freezer and wrap around part of the grinder to keep it from overheating during grinding. It’s only a slight annoyance to have to use and works as it’s supposed to.
I've had great luck with all of cabelas meat processing. Love my slicer.

Thunderbird 1 HP. Only complaint would be that it's a heavy sob when packing away. Other than that it has been flawless for going on 8 years. Would absolutely buy again.

What do you have that sucks, wllm?

I’m running this guy:

I mean, it works, I don’t feel like it’s hindering me necessarily. Could a bigger one do more faster, yeah, but I’m happy with it. That said, I’ve only put like 4 deer and two pronghorn through it. So never more than like 20 or 25 pounds of grinding.

Because of it’s price, it’s inconveniences compared to nicer ones don’t really seem like inconveniences.

Someday I’ll be trying to put an elk through it and will probably realize i need go ahead and buy one with a little more oomph

Overall I feel like the cabelas meat grinders are just fine. This one has never not worked while grinding up the grind pile from an animal, and so far i can't see myself asking for much else.
I had a shitty $39.99 one from sportsman’s that did 1lb an hour, totally piece of crap.

Looking for a grinder.

I hate “get … you’ll thank me later” reviews.

I probably average 50-100lbs of grind a year. If I get one I want to be able to do an elk solo in a sitting without going insane and/or taking all day.

I've used the cold wrap once. Not worth using it in my opinion. I had my Carnivore heat up once and when I didn't crank it down quite as tight when I put it back together it worked fine.

I had a shitty $39.99 one from sportsman’s that did 1lb an hour, totally piece of crap.

Looking for a grinder.

I hate “get … you’ll thank me later” reviews.

I probably average 50-100lbs of grind a year. If I get one I want to be able to do an elk solo in a sitting without going insane and/or taking all day.

Then don’t go under 100 bucks for meat grinder

You’ll thank me later

😉

I have the smallest in the Cabela's Carnivore series. If you aren't going to be doing huge jobs frequently, it should be able to do what you want. I can rip through my grind pile in minutes. It is tied in with Weston if I recall correctly and I also have the Weston stuffer and vacuum sealer. I think their quality is very good!

I have the LEM Bite Bite #5. It’s roughly 1/3 hp.

The most I’ve ever put through it in one go was 9 or 10 lbs. It gets the job done.

I am overdue to try and make sausage with it so cannot speak to that, sadly.

I have one of the Cabelas 3/4hp grinders with the foot pedal. It will grind faster than I can package the grind bags if I’m not using the foot pedal. Especially if the meat is very cold or partially frozen. Can easily do an elk in one sitting and it not take all day.

I like my lem big bite #8. I don't have experience with any others, but haven't had any trouble with this one. I don't grind everything at once though, usually do about 20 pounds at a time so can't say if it would handle a long grinding session well.

I have a older cabelas (believe Lem made) 3/4hp with all the plates and tubes, ZERO down falls! Wish i had the full 1 horse with a bigger hopper just for convience but i do a lot of meat annually. I would recommend even for casual use get atleast the 1/2hp, get the coarse and sauage plates and a footpedal, stuffing tubes as desired. The foot pedal is a must! I recommend the 1/2 cause about there you can really use it for stuffing sauage and handles semi frozen meat better. Recommend anything Lem!

Wore out several cheap ones, used kitchen aid attachment a few years, works fine just too slow for me. I got an old Enterprise one off CL for $75, grinds as fast as I can feed it, doesn't heat up at all. Biggest downside for most people would be 220 volts, works for me though. Otherwise just heavy to move around, and not much depth to the feed tube so have to be careful about using a push stick.

I have a 575w KitchenAid with the grinder attachment. Okay for a few pounds at a time and multifunctional. Tried it on my parents' 275w mixer and it was awful.

I have an STX I got from Amazon about 6 years ago. I have zero complaints with it. Handles everything I throw at it, just do a little trimming and cubing first. I never freeze it (lazy) first, and it doesn't miss a beat. It gets great reviews, including from people who grind up chickens for cat food (didn't know that was a thing or that those people existed).

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back