my first year of turkey hunting, got any pointers

Always remember the 10 rules of turkey hunting..........
1. do not move
2. do not move
3. do not move
4. do not move
You know the rest of them.
More later
biggrin.gif

You should know the difference between a common barn yard chicken and your quarry!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

1.Attend some local semiars if you can.
2.Rent videos
3. If possible find someone who has chased the bird that can share his or her experiences with you. Better yet ask them to take you.
4.Pattern you shotgun.
5.Join the National Wild Turkey Federation.
6.Scout.
7.Make some landowner contacts.
8.Make sure you are aware of the safety issues surrounding turkey hunting.
9.Be patient in the turkey woods.
10.Learn the basic calls of the hen turkey.
11.Don't bother with a gobbler shaker call.
They attract hunters and should only be used by hunters who know when and where to use them.
12. Do not move.
13. It's not the gobbler, it's the gobble!
best of luck, be safe
WD

Wally Dog ,I should have no problem with #3, dad, and dads friend mikey should take care of that mikey hunts turkey a lot, and has turkey hunted this property plenty of time, so that sould help a lot, BTW thanks for all of the pointer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YoungRobinHood:
Well this is my first year of turkey hunting so i just figured i'd see if anyone had any pointers for me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not that difficult actually. First thing you gotta find some turkeys. Most of us do our homework and know where some birds are prior to the season. Once you got that part figured out, it's just a matter of calling 'em in. It's really helpful if you know where they are roosted. There are many calls on the market used as locators (makes the gobbler gobble and give his location away), I use a crow call a lot. These types of calls are used to locate roosts in late evening, and early morning. It can (notice I said "can") be easier to call 'em off the roost. You will need some type of call. Usually a box is good if you're new to the sport. A slate can be deadly and isn't hard to master either. You need to practice, practice, practice. When you're out there and you are where the turkeys are, call and be patient. Calling too much is a major problem that most people new to the sport have trouble with. The "don't move" part mentioned above is a real good idea, but sometimes you gotta relocate to some degree if the gobbler "hangs up". When calling, "absolutely don't move". A little note: Normally gobblers come in a lot easier if you're above or even with them and they normally don't like to come "down hill" to your calling, also they can come into a call from a fairly good distance, be patient and try to fight the urge to go to them and gust let the ol" gobbler come to you. Once you try it for a day or two, you will have a lot more questions, I'm sure of that.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-28-2003 06:24: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

You've got to call like a sexy hen to drive the gobbler crazy, so listen to the tapes. When in doubt, don't move. They might circle you, they might be busy with a hen, then get to you. It might take a few years, it might not. Hunting near a roost, like Gilamonster said would really up your odds, but a turkey will walk like 15 miles in a day, I've heard. They like roosting in high trees over water, if possible, at lease around here. TN is probably full of trees, so I'm sure that really helps. haha Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back