My first whitetail

UWYOshooter

well having grown up on the west coast(Oregon) we view whitetail as disease ridden gene pool killing rat deer. After moving out to Wyoming i discovered that i can take whitetails in certain units with my general tag. Having taken my fair share of Blacktail and Mulies, i decided to try and nail a Wyo whitetail. of course public land bucks are hard to come by but in mid rut, the bucks were just as dumb chasing does. To date this is my biggest deer and my first whitetail. scored just over 95 green(i usually just shoot the first legal buck i see). taken just north of Buffalo, Wy on state land with a 3 mile pack out.

Attachments

• 1457692_10151848528449825_1031915308_n.jpg
    1457692_10151848528449825_1031915308_n.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 747
It is deffinetally odd hunting whitetails in sagebrush upland conditions at 5000+ feet. you really have to species check your deer through your optics to make sure its not a mulie. especially late season when certain units have species stipulations.

Well done! Even though I live in a whitetail only state and hunt them here annually, someday I will hunt them in the sagebrush. Way cool.

When I was a kid I thought big-antlered mule deer were the coolest. When I was old enough to hunt I lived in blacktail country so that's what I hunted (and still do). I've taken a few mule deer when it was convenient because of where I lived or wanted to try hunting. When I had the chance to hunt Montana it was whitetail or nothing (to complete my mini slam of N. American deer). Now that I've taken all three I realize that each is unique, and I'm actually thinking another mule deer might be in order in my future, but next year the season for blacktails in Oregon stays open through the Nov. 7th, so I have to be here for that, and I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to hunt whitetails in the Missouri Breaks again, or a mule deer hunt in Nevada, Utah or Colo. if that could work out some day. I'd enjoy any one or all three. Deer are deer, and deer hunting is a riot. Weather and health permitting I'll be in the woods somewhere next November.

Congrats. Even with your interesting perspective on the whitetail :\

You'll soon discover that they eat much better than the Blacktails and Muleys!

Nicely done. As you are learning, Wyoming whitetail can be big time fun. I took a year or two to stop looking only for mule deer and take some time chasing those pesky WT and I'm glad I did.

nice buck

Being from the south east and having only hunted whitetails and hogs my whole life, I made it out to Wyoming in 2012 for an antelope hunt. My hunting partner was more interested in killing a western whitetail then I was even though thats all he had ever hunted also. Well the ranch we hunted had some Wt's on it and we saw more of them than muley's so we gave it a try. No treestands like we were use to, just slipping and watching. We had a blast! I lucked up and killed one just under 130 and my partner killed a good 8 point (4x4). My buddy says there are bigger raked bucks in his club in Georgia, but Wyoming was way more fun. We went back this year, it was tougher, saw plenty of deer just did not get a chance to kill one. But got hooked on that way of hunting them.

Lol . Congrats but I guided three guys from Wyoming here in Iowa and went had a blast. They all tagged big whitetail.

Back