My First Turkey

BillyGoat

I called him in with a jake this afternoon when the sun broke through for a little bit. He was 19lbs with a 9" beard.
turkey04a.jpg

Anybody else get snowed on for the opener?

I thought it was a tom but I'm still new at this game. Two came in silent to my decoy and I waited till I had a shot at the 2nd because I figured it was a tom and his beard was much longer. Here are some more pics...

turkey02e.jpg

turkey02g.jpg

turkey03a.jpg

His back toe is missing from the one foot.

With a full fan, I would assume a young tom. The spurs are a bit longer and more pronounced than the jakes I normally kill :D !

I've heard from many different people that they have shot birds with shorter beards due to them being broke off from snow build-up on the beard itself. Either way, that is a great looking bird. The snow makes it that much cooler (no pun intended :) ) .

Good job BG! Nice to see you using your camera AND your gun this time.

Nice first bird. It is probably a late born bird from 2 springs ago (young Tom)
Jakes will always have an uneven tail fan with the center feathers being longer.

Nice BGoat, have the camera ready at all times! Where'd you have the snow? We had pretty nice weather in the Clearwater region.
WD

Congratulations!

Well, I hope its legal to go get another one, that is really a good one and you seem good at it! That's the criteria above that I know for a jake, the middle feathers of the tail are longer than those on the edges by quite a bit too, like 1-1.5 inches or something. 9 inches is not a short beard either, way to go! Even if it was in Texas, that would be decent. haha

Thanks guys. Looking at other pics, I think I've got to learn to spread that tail fan out more so the bird looks bigger! :D

Nice BGoat, have the camera ready at all times! Where'd you have the snow? We had pretty nice weather in the Clearwater region.
As Basser indicated, it seems I've had the camera ready before the gun on recent hunts... but not this time. :) Oh and I was in the clearwater region also but it rained/snowed off and on Sat and Sun.

Well, I hope its legal to go get another one, that is really a good one and you seem good at it!
Heading back in a few weeks for a 2nd one. This was my 3rd spring hunt, so I like to think I've got the hang of it but I'll probably be humbled again next time out...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back