My first time hunting in Colorado

If you think you’re in good shape, get in better shape. Packing 50# in PA or IL is a whole lot different than doing it in CO.
I agree with the idea of a base camp a short 3-4 day spike camps. It’s nice to get in base camp a recharge.
Boots with ankle support are a must! You can get by with a cheaper pack, but boots can end a hunt quick. Plan on having a great time with a elk as a bonus and you’ll be set.
Second season can be tough but doable. Bulls will be scattered. Leave the bugle at home.

Im from pa also and go to Idaho and will second what every one says about getting in shape our next trip is in 2020 and in January I started the tread mill hiking with a pack, cross training and weight lifting esp squats I dont do real heavy weights but high reps and know matter how hard I train those mtns kick my but every time. the area we set up for base is 2 miles off rd. and the bivy from their its a blast but tough.
Take is slow and try and take as much time off as you can

My thoughts about both Colorado where I grew up at and Wyoming where I now live is be prepared for drastic changes in weather. A number of times I went from wearing short sleeve shirts in summer like temps to a full blown blizzard that same night. Be prepared in camp to have all four seasons happen especially your tent or camper.

I’ve done basecamp,bivied,backpack hunted etc. I think it all depends on the country u r trying to access. I also think one could get in way over their head trying to do a backpack hunt on their first western hunt w no experience. Not saying u can’t, but u really need to have a grasp for the country you will be going into, elevation gain especially. I think us easterners have a hard time grasping how big it is. I know it took me a few times to understand how I could get into some of the places I wanted. U can’t just necessarily go right at it all the time. And if hunting second season weather could really affect where u r going to be able to get to potentially

You should never do a back country hunt in any state without someone who is somewhat an experienced hunter that knows how to read maps and weather signs. First time should never be solo. Need someone who knows the country or at the minimum someone who is expert at reading maps and knowing where property lines are. I did volunteer work years ago with Alpine Search and Rescue and I do not know how many lost hunters we were sent in after and nearly all of them that had to be rescued had attempted solo back country hunts.

If you want to backpack in and hunt Elk with your son then you definitely should as long as you are realistic about terrain, distance, weather, pack out logistics etc. Just be prepared with appropriate gear, clothing, and maps so you aren't the guys that need to be rescued like WyoDoug stated.

My son and I are planning on hunting 2nd rifle in gmu 75/751 for elk/deer we are not afraid to hike several miles to camp. Any things to consider (gear list) or suggestions and or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been studying maps and looking for flashing points and also water

Besides knowing how to read maps, you should have a primary GPS (On-X maps on your cell plus a GPS loaded with On-x maps), paper maps, compass, water filteration kit (generally good water sources in back country Colorado), first aid kit, a couple long tip butane lighters, emergency blankets, dehydrated food, hard candy for snacking, cooking/eating utensil kit made for packs. Check with G&F and see if you need bear spray. I do not know that area better to be safe than sorry. Or a good sidearm that can take down a bear. Personally, I prefer bear spray and have had to use it on a black bear. It worked for me. Also carry rope to hang game, and I usually get some of that string used as guide lines for fencing. Bright colored survey tape is recommended for marking your trail if needed, fluorescent if you can find it.

Soft candy and soda is a no-no for back country hiking and heavy physical exertion. Too much sugar at once will make you sick. Soda is a diuretic. Hydration is best obtained by intake of good ole water and nothing but. I learned the hard way and got sick last year drinking soda and a few bottles of water and not taking a canteen with me on the horses. Needless to say my archery hunt did not go well. Hydration is extremely important when you do back country hiking and hunting. I go through 4 quarts of water a day when I am hiking particularly of weather is warm.

Carry good knives and game bags. Game bags should be 16 wide and carry enough to bag the meat if you tag out. Cheap knives might get you by, but good ones will last and be useful for more than just gutting game.

Your best maps would show private, public, BLM, state lands and G&F owned land. I get mine from mytopo.com for paper maps. Mytopo.com maps also show which roads are private and which are closed I think. I need to verify that.

Last thing which is critical is carry enough layers of clothing for all weather conditions if you plan to overnight in the back country. Plenty of socks. You may need to switch to dry clothing quick if you slip in a stream like I did year before last.

I've picked up on some good information and tips by reading this thread. I think my group is at the point where we just need to get out there this year and let er' rip!! The only thing that will stay in the back of my mind is the altitude, we will also be glassing out the windshield for 25 hours from NY and trying to get right in at 9600ft on opening day. I have some other spots picked at 7000ft but 2nd season OTC in CO seems like 10k is a better option to start with. Does anybody have any thoughts/experience on getting right in on 10k of elevation and trying to hoof it in there?

I've picked up on some good information and tips by reading this thread. I think my group is at the point where we just need to get out there this year and let er' rip!! The only thing that will stay in the back of my mind is the altitude, we will also be glassing out the windshield for 25 hours from NY and trying to get right in at 9600ft on opening day. I have some other spots picked at 7000ft but 2nd season OTC in CO seems like 10k is a better option to start with. Does anybody have any thoughts/experience on getting right in on 10k of elevation and trying to hoof it in there?
I am a little concerned with altitude so hopefully we draw deer tags and will stay down around 7000 ft for two days then head to higher elevations I travel for work and have been to higher altitude just not for long hikes or hunting

I've not hunted those units but I have climbed and backpacked them. There are good trails there. Get the San Juan/Wemuniche (sp?) Map and study the trails. For altitude, hunt high sleep low. Diamox can help you acclimate faster and I've used it before. It does tend to dehydrate you. Train with pack on uneven ground. It will strengthen the core muscles and ankles. This is important as you will expend as much energy balancing as you will hiking. When I do this I can cut the weight of my boots and use hiking shoes. I don't suggest that for second season. As long as you've studied the trails, have a GPS/on and the trail map you should be ok in that area. It will be hard to get away from trails there but that's a good thing for your first time. Study the symptoms of edema so you both can look out for each other. Good luck.

I’m getting this a little late and I have to say the the advice given in this thread is pretty right on.
I live near Purgatory ski resort and have hunted the weminuche extensively.
My only other advice would be to look into a drop camp or even a outfit for your first trip.
As a guide I treated all clients like students. This way they could make the decision of whether they wanted to be guided again later or do their own thing. Surprisingly I ended up with a lot of return guests even though my approach would predict otherwise.
This is because I believe an outfit can provide gear, logistics, and an opportunity to get in elk country. Nothing is guaranteed, but getting put in a good spot is worth every dollar. Years of hunting an area with clients led to many animals down.

Otherwise, take as much time as you can. Each day is a learning experience and will be exponential the more time you spend.

Also, Colorado has become the alternative plan for almost every hunter who doesn’t get a tag in other states. It’s getting way more crowded as folks have more money to spend with a good economy right now. If you are gonna hike. Between the road and horses is a good plan. Just like the other folks said

Last edited:
Back