My First Sheep Hunt - NV Desert Bighorn

eshunt

Well, I won the lottery and pulled a DBH ram tag in NV. I honestly never thought I would draw one of these tags, at least not with only a handful of points. I have never been on a sheep hunt before so I have a lot to learn. Most of my sheep experience is just looking at them while I'm on other hunting trips, or rafting down desert rivers. This unit is only about 2 hours away from home so I will be able to spend a fair bit of time this summer scouting and learning the area. And I should be able to get several weeks of actual hunting time if needed.

A portion of this hunt is on an Army base, the Hawthorne Army Ammo Depot. I am wondering if anyone on here has been on a sheep hunt and accessed the Army Depot property? I have found some info on getting permission to hike in the area, but all of the forms have strict rules about no weapons. And as the office is closed this weekend, I am looking to talk with anyone that has hunted here previously and what did they have to do to get access for hunting? Or maybe the hassle wasn't worth it and there's plenty of sheep in the accessible portions of the unit that are not on the Army Ammo Depot?

Anyway, I'm super excited to have this opportunity. I want to make the most of this tag and find a respectable ram to hang my tag on. Let me know if you have any suggestions on field judging sheep too. I'll be scouring the interwebs for videos and articles about judging sheep. I am by no means someone that is looking for a certain number, mostly whatever will make me excited and happy. I might never get this opportunity again so I want to really dive into this unit and learn as much as possible.

Congrats, good luck and enjoy it. Take your time a squeeze everything you can out of it.

Well, I won the lottery and pulled a DBH ram tag in NV. I honestly never thought I would draw one of these tags, at least not with only a handful of points. I have never been on a sheep hunt before so I have a l. Itot to learn. Most of my sheep experience is just looking at them while I'm on other hunting trips, or rafting down desert rivers. This unit is only about 2 hours away from home so I will be able to spend a fair bit of time this summer scouting and learning the area. And I should be able to get several weeks of actual hunting time if needed.

A portion of this hunt is on an Army base, the Hawthorne Army Ammo Depot. I am wondering if anyone on here has been on a sheep hunt and accessed the Army Depot property? I have found some info on getting permission to hike in the area, but all of the forms have strict rules about no weapons. And as the office is closed this weekend, I am looking to talk with anyone that has hunted here previously and what did they have to do to get access for hunting? Or maybe the hassle wasn't worth it and there's plenty of sheep in the accessible portions of the unit that are not on the Army Ammo Depot?

Anyway, I'm super excited to have this opportunity. I want to make the most of this tag and find a respectable ram to hang my tag on. Let me know if you have any suggestions on field judging sheep too. I'll be scouring the interwebs for videos and articles about judging sheep. I am by no means someone that is looking for a certain number, mostly whatever will make me excited and happy. I might never get this opportunity again so I want to really dive into this unit and learn as much as possible.
Excellent draw! Was right where you are now last July when the AZ DBH results were released. Drew last tag in my 2nd choice unit after 30 years of applying. Decided to hire a guide right off the get go. According to AGF surveys there were 10 class IV rams in my unit. It became my goal to tag out on one of them. That goal was realized on the last day with an 8.5 year old 150". If you'e going the guide route don't wait, move on that soonest possible. ADBSS held a hunters clinic in Oct that really helped age, & score, maybe NV has something similar? Best of luck, let us know how it's going.

See if the Army installation has a biologist and call that person first. Talk to the NDOW bio covering that unit too. Scout all you can and it wouldn't hurt to ask for guides working that area.

And start hitting the hills to get ready.

There is a good video from the Wild Sheep Foundation about scoring and aging sheep that was recommended to me. Well worth the time to watch that one. It gave me a lot more to think about when I'm looking at sheep. Now I'm wasting too much time watching sheep hunting videos and trying to think about aging the sheep I am seeing on the screen. Hahaha.

Also was able to talk with the security person in charge of access to the Army Depot. Have the paperwork to submit for background check and will be allowed access for scouting and hunting. Pretty cool that they do allow access for non-military to be able to hunt.

I learned from a NV expert, that different units have different length horns. A 3/4 curl can measure a lot more or less in a different unit, some units have a tight curl. It is important to know this to help you judge. Watch water a lot. Get guzzler maps NOW, when I drew they were out of stock statewide when I arrived in Vegas! Enjoy your hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, I’m envious. If you live that close to the unit get there as much as possible there is no such thing as knowing too much. Also if you get a sheep on day one you won’t feel like you didn’t get the entire experience. Every day scouting gives you a feel for the unit and the sense of adventure. Who knows how many more you will draw. Savor every moment and good luck.

I don't know how I missed this post, but I too offer congratulations to you eshunt. I've been applying in NV for two decades and hope some day to draw before I die.
Some years back I helped a friend on a NV Desert Sheep unit with a military base in it and back then it required you to attend an orientation meeting before you could go on base. We also had restricted areas that we couldn't hunt but we were able to hunt some of it. We did have fighter jets flying over us during the hunt which was kinda cool.
Most NV desert units are very good. I'm sure you are in for a lot of excitement ahead. You are a lucky man! Congrats

Last edited:
I had a chance yesterday to spend a few hours checking out access in my unit. Was able to take the "long way home" and take a look around. The thunderstorms/rain/lightning made glassing difficult most of the afternoon but I was able to scramble around a little bit. Man is it some steep country! I knew it was steep from driving through it many times over the years, but with a tag in hand and looking at access, it is much more intimidating. I didn't get to see any sheep, but did see a lot of older sign. Not sure if they are up higher right now due to the amount of water or if the weather kept them hunkered down.

I also am all set for access to the Army Depot once they open access. It's still closed to public access due to the snow/water runoff.

Used the sheep tag as a good excuse to upgrade my spotting scope. Have a new one arriving tomorrow afternoon.

Even though it was only a few hours, it felt great to get a chance to start the process of looking around for the sheep. I have the approximate harvest locations mapped out for most of the rams from the last 20 years thanks to NDOW information that is available online. Will hopefully help with narrowing down areas to concentrate on. There is definitely a lot of terrain in the unit and not a lot of sheep.

Following.

You might want to consider Swaro 15s. You can rent a pair. They take spotting to the next level.

Following.

You might want to consider Swaro 15s. You can rent a pair. They take spotting to the next level.
I have friends with 15's. I do really like them, but I have a good pair of Swaro 10x42 binos already. Needed to upgrade the spotter before looking into getting a set of 15s.

I love the update es. I hope you keep posting your progress and I'm confident you are in for a real adventure.
I've been on lots of no sightings desert sheep scouting trips so don't get discouraged. If you look long and hard enough you will eventually find them, but this time of year is hard for lots of reasons.
Upgrading optics is always a great move and looking in previous success areas will up your odds of finding sheep as well.
Keep us posted!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back