My First Muzzleloader Kill

Joe Hulburt

For some reason I got inspired to take up shooting a muzzleloader this year. It was a lot of fun learning something new and getting it dialed in! Gun is a CVA Optima shooting 247 grain Copper Thor Hollow Points with 120 grains of Pyrodex Select....it shoots very well.

I had 10 points here in Oregon and decided to cash them in on a mule deer hunt. It's only a 7 day season after the rifle hunt and pre rut so I was a little skeptical if it was a good idea. People told me if we got some good early snow it would be a fun hunt......we had blue sky and upper 70's every day and it was tough to locate any bucks. I finally found this guy and was able to hit him right in the throat patch on a dead on 70 yard shot.

I'll be looking for some more optimal muzzleloader hunts in other states for sure since Oregon has very few of them and they take a lot of points.

Attachments

• Image 10-24-18 at 8.33 AM.jpg
    Image 10-24-18 at 8.33 AM.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 707
Very nice. Iowa has a "late season muzzleloader". I think that most draw with zero points. Late December, $$$$, you must find some land to hunt on (I don't think that would be a big issue since all the other seasons are closed). Nebraska also has some muzzleloader seasons that can be drawn (late season??).

good luck to all
the dog

Pretty sweet buck, and sounds like you have enjoyed getting into the muzzleloader. I am thinking hard about only putting in for muzzleloader next year. Great time of year here in Utah to be in the woods, and not too many other people around either.

It’s not exactly been hunting weather around here lately—especially where I’m assuming you were at. Congratulations! That’s a cool deer.

It’s not exactly been hunting weather around here lately—especially where I’m assuming you were at. Congratulations! That’s a cool deer.

Just the luck of the draw on the weather with it being only a 7 day hunt. If it was a year with some better weather it would have changed things a lot I am sure. The unit isn't as good as it has been though by all accounts which is depressing because it was one of the best.

Congrats on a nice buck. I bought the same CVA muzzle loader a few years ago and have shot a few deer with it. My only complaint about shooting muzzle loaders is cleaning them.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back