Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My First Elk

recoil junky

Craig Colorado, Elk Hunting Capitol of the World
This was in November of '64. We lived 9 miles up Lolo Creek out of Missoula (across from Woodman School)

Dad came back to the house and told me were going elk hunting and this is what we got. I can still remember it like it happened yesterday. I was a pretty scared 5 year old!! Man that thing was HUGE!!! I think it scored around 360? For any of you Bozmanites that might know Don Vanneman, the mount is in his office.

IMG_1016.jpg

And you wonder why I'm addicted to elk hunting :D

RJ

Last edited:
That is a great picture. My daughter shot her fist buck this year very near where you were living at that time, and my wife's family used to own the ranch directly across the creek from woodman in the 60's. The ranch is still called the "Bradshaw Place", and is now owned by the Lolo Trails Ranch (O/Z brand).

Were you on the place that became the O/Z?

I live about 6 miles down Lolo creek from there now..

Craig is home now. Been here since '97. The missus doesn't care much for the winters, but I can't very well quit my job because no one will hire a broken down 52 year old heavy equipment mechanic :D

shory, that is eggzaktly the place. Bud Ozmond had just bought it from Don Tripp (I think that's how it went) and Dad was the manager. Scott Ozmond owns it now, I haven't seen him in years, we played in the same sandbox as kids!!!

I remember the whitetails being thick as bugs on a bumper and the elk coming down behind the corrals in the fall. I need to find those pictures too.

A friend of mine lives on the other side of the road from the Bradshaw place. Reminds me I need to call him.

Cromwells, Bradshaws, Bonebrights, Fourniers, Larsons, the names are coming back slowly.

RJ

Last edited:
Cool Picture.............There's a bunch of guys Gold mining up in the Klondike that are looking for a Brokedown heavy equipment mechanic................... John

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back