My first elk hunt

Shaky

In preparation for my first elk hunt,,,,,in CO I have quit smoking....damn things stunted my growth anyhow. I MAY of grown to be 7 feet tall had I not started smoking, lol. I ride my daughters 21 speed bike every day. She doesn't like it but she will get over it, lol. Since we all went on the sheep hunt I have lost 31lbs. My goal is to loose another 14 lbs. I don't see it being a problem, I can drop weight fast.

I am going to use my 7mm mag as my primary weapon and take my 300 win mag as a back up in case I have the opportunity at some really long shots - to 650 yards.

I have yet to take delivery of the 120gr GS Custom HV bullets I ordered. If they don't get here by the end of Sept I will be using some other bullet (in my 7mm mag),,,,,,,which I haven't decided on yet. It won't be a nosler partition, that I know for sure.

I am hunting with Jim (VPD10) and another buddy, Rich - who is a local in CO. I have been informed that about 1/2 of the area we are to hunt has been burned to the ground and am informed that is a good thing. New grasses will emerge now and it will be easier to see the elk. Not as many trees to hide in.

Jim, myself and another buddy from Columbus, Ohio have put in for an AZ elk tag for 5 years now. With some luck I may be hunting elk in AZ this fall as well. Then again,,,,,I doubt it, lol.

Don

Shaky.....Good luck on the AZ draws and I think you all will do great in CO this fall, a ton of elk running around that state with the low harvest last year(weather) and the mild winter. I got a CO deer tag again this year and depending on the weather might have to go get an over the counter bull tag, of course mostly raghorns in the deer area but should be an easy pack out.

good luck shaky heard they have been getting some rain in my unit there will be plenty of elk to shoot at i think.

Cut,

Thanks for the positive words

Elk,

I am not sure if we got drawn or not. Jim is out of town and he is the one that finds out.

I know, somebody told me you can go find out on the internet, but I just wait for Jim to call and notify me.

Don

ARIZONA RESULTS ARE OUT. CALL THE GAME AND FISH @ 602 942-3000 AND LISTEN TO THE AUTOMATED SERVICE. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS PUNCH IN YOUR SS# AND THE MONTH AND DAY OF YOUR BIRTHDAY. THEY WILL TELL YOU IF YOU GOT DRAWN AND WHICH HUNT IT IS.

Shaky,
I checked for you and you didn't get drawn, now if you want a tag just send me the $200,000.00 and I'll send you one

Just kidding of course :D

Good luck on your hunt.
I hunt for bull for the first time in my life this late nov. I have gone after cows many times in the past but a bull hunt is something totally different.

Good luck to you and all those going this fall.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-16-2002 12:08: Message edited by: Mntman ]</font>

Mt,

Damn your good,,,you found before I did that I didn't get drawn in AZ, :(

Then again, I never really expect to get drawn in AZ. If we do it is a huge suprise.

Jim and myself are all set to go to CO for elk. It is my understanding that some of the area we will be hunting got burnt. On the upside to that they tell me with the rains there will be plenty of new grass. That coupled with the mild winter last year (in CO) it is supposed to be a good year.

Thanks to all for the positive words, it is appreciated.

Cutt,

We need to talk about a new mexico elk hunt for the fall of 2003

Don

Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back