PEAX Equipment

My first Drahthaar

Jc2020

I just put down my deposit on a Drahthaar now I’m just waiting for them to be born I have been reading up on them a lot but just wondered if anyone has first hand experience with having one as a hunting dog and in the house I mainly will be using her to hunt upland birds and waterfowl.

There are a few DD owners on this site. I have a distant cousin to the DD, a pudelpoiinter. I very much dig the bearded Germain versatile breeds.

I just put down my deposit on a Drahthaar now I’m just waiting for them to be born I have been reading up on them a lot but just wondered if anyone has first hand experience with having one as a hunting dog and in the house I mainly will be using her to hunt upland birds and waterfowl.
What kennel? They are outstanding dogs.

Have you joined VDD-GNA? Do you plan on doing any testing? Your breeder should be a good training resource. I'd recommend reading The Drahthaar Puppy Manual to start. Clicker training works exceptionally well with these dogs. They are very smart. You'll get the level of performance and obedience you demand and foster with them.

Have you joined VDD-GNA? Do you plan on doing any testing? Your breeder should be a good training resource. I'd recommend reading The Drahthaar Puppy Manual to start. Clicker training works exceptionally well with these dogs. They are very smart. You'll get the level of performance and obedience you demand and foster with them.
No I haven’t joined I plan on doing some testing I’ll have to read that I have always ran labs in the past so I’m excited about switching it up mine won’t be ready until fall so I’ve got a little bit of a wait but probably best hopefully this corona will be blown over by then

No I haven’t joined I plan on doing some testing I’ll have to read that I have always ran labs in the past so I’m excited about switching it up mine won’t be ready until fall so I’ve got a little bit of a wait but probably best hopefully this corona will be blown over by then
I would get your membership now, there are some good training resources and articles available once you are a member. Find out who your local chapter test director is and find out where the VJP test locations are. I have found it's easiest to get updates via Facebook. Some of the VJP tests fill up very fast, so when they are announced I would get your application in ASAP.

Here are a couple of threads from my first two seasons with my current dog.

I would get your membership now, there are some good training resources and articles available once you are a member. Find out who your local chapter test director is and find out where the VJP test locations are. I have found it's easiest to get updates via Facebook. Some of the VJP tests fill up very fast, so when they are announced I would get your application in ASAP.

Here are a couple of threads from my first two seasons with my current dog.

That’s awesome I really enjoyed reading those Finn is a good looking dog where did you get him from?

Great decision on going with a German versatile breed. My dad has a pudelpointer and I've been doing all the training and it has changed everything about how and how much I hunt. It's a decision you will never regret and because you have a buddy that is always up for going out you will go hunting more often. I think it has already been said but join a training group. I am a member with NAVHDA. You cannot replace those training days where there can be anywhere between a couple to ten or fifteen people who actually know what the hell they are doing giving you real time advice--and for just the price of dues. I don't do a lot of trials or tests but I am running our pudelpointer in the NA test assuming it can be rescheduled this summer.

Also look up Standing Stone Kennels on youtube. They have three or four puppy training series that are incredibly helpful.
Oh and hunting dogs are addictive--I just put a deposit on my own pudelpointer that I will be picking up around the middle of May. Good luck!

That’s awesome I really enjoyed reading those Finn is a good looking dog where did you get him from?
Von den Kaskaden, located in Kelso WA. The Wild West Chapter is putting out some damned good dogs right now.

Finn sounds like a beast. I'm quite happy with my 3.5 year old. My current 4.5 month old is winning his way into my heart. His demeanor is a bit calmer than the older one and his tracking so far is quite good. I will say that the Drahthaar breed in general is the most consistent breed I have been around. The breed standards are strongly adhered to.

So all in all, I'd say your odds of a rockstar are good. Strongly encourage you to do the VJP and HZP. Even if your scores are low, it makes your odds of a solid hunting dog go way up. Good luck.

Congrats on the new hunting partner and live couch pillow. My experience with DD's is very limited but VERY positive.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back