PEAX Equipment

My first deer

koboxerks

I want to preface this by saying that I'm one to challenge myself & have permissions to hunt on private land but I admire public/wild land hunting where the animal has "most" of the advantage. Luckily there is a place near my parents small farm that I was able to go in & do a lot of homework beforehand. Being a new hunter, all summer I practiced, studied videos, read articles, & asked TONS of questions. So opening day I was ready to go & I started hunting a bean field edge on WIHA about a mile & a half off the road ( I was told & read this that "a lot" of hunters are lazy so the deeper you get & more work you do, the greater the "prize"). So, after 3 days of hunting mornings & evenings & seeing absolutely NOTHING, I moved my stand Thursday at about 2pm to a place dropping a BUNCH of acorns because I had read they were falling off the oaks like crazy. I knew of an area that had a bunch of them on a hill leading down to a lake & sure enough, they were all over the place. I went in about 1330-1400, but I had a heckuva time getting up the tree because my climber kept getting caught up on the bark of the perfect maple tree. So after about an hour (it was hot) of resting after walking in, getting my gear/tree stand ready to go, climbing it up the tree, resting, safety & securing it, I was up at about 3pm. I pulled my bow up, got my camo on my face, got a drink, ate a granola bar, I sat for a minute to gather myself thinking I would have a little time before any deer started moving. Not even 10 minutes later I hear a doe walk up to my left. I hadn't even gotten my arrow knocked yet. Got it knocked SLOWLY, pulled back & she turned behind a tree. I held it for about 4 minutes probably, or what seemed like it, thinking she would walk into this clearing. When I lost her eyes behind the trunk of the tree, I let off. A couple of minutes later, she came around it & looked me DEAD in the eyes. I didn't move, buts he was in perfect position about 10 yards out. So when she looked down & put her head to the ground, I pulled back & stuck her. With her tail between her legs, she took off & fell about 30 yards away. MY FIRST DEER!!! Perfect pass through heart shot too!!!

Attachments

• first deer.jpg
    first deer.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 461
Congrats on your first and isn't it amazing that those deer can't hear your heart beating when they are that close?! :)

Congratulations on your first deer. Old school traditions require a shirt tailing ceremony, and sometimes a little bit of blood artwork on the face. (I am glad that never was done to me!).

Nice work, congratulations. I love bowhunting whitetail from treestands. Some say it's boring but I love it. I've seen some of the coolest stuff while perched in a tree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back