Yeti GOBOX Collection

my daughter tried to kill me today

belshawelk

So may daughter is trying to kill me I found out...........

Quick back history. May daughter just came home from college, graduated in 3 years. She was on a softball scholarship and unfortunately playing at the top of her carrier and was destined to get division awards, when her season was cut short by the virus. She was a 4 year varsity player in two sports, softball and basketball for one of the biggest HS in Oregon. The girls basketball program when she played was one of the top public HS programs in the country. I have coached her at softball from the time she was 8 all the way through all the summer travel ball and HS. She is an absolute beast and in incredible shape. Running 5-6 miles a day at 8-9 minute pace is the norm.

I am 50, in above average shape and can keep up with most anyone in the back country. I coach HS softball so I stay in pretty good shape all year and run a few miles a week ( i like a 11-12 minute pace).

So she is home form school and is continuing to work out albeit not the same level as college but still staying in shape as she heads off to Sand Diego for law school. Her partner in crime for working out is usually my other daughter who is 16 and also a softball player, but she has been sick with strep throat and getting her tonsils out. That's where the story turns ugly because now I have to be the workout partner.

It stared simple, " dad well take it slow and just do a couple miles, after all I am retired form sports now. I can't run like I used too" Huh? its only been 2 months and I just saw you play in Arizona in March. Her idea of retired and mine are very different. So I bought into the story........ first a simple run or two, then I said hey lets do some bike riding, because at one time I was a very accomplished mountain biker. We went few times and road our big 2 mile long hill down the road from us. She did it at ease..dammit ( thought I had her). Last night she says "hey we need to run up the hill tomorrow". Me with my bourbon in hand at the time said sure. Well............. we did it today and I almost died...........

I am taking her to our property, putting a pack on her goping shed hunting, well she how she likes that.............

I learned as my kids got faster and I got slower, that I needed to be on the bike while they were running beside me. They do keep us young...

You need to make her carry the pack as stated which also means your extra gear, water, and food in HER pack! You should be very proud of your daughter for both her sports and her academics. She sounds like she's special dad, and you and mom had a large hand in that. Congratulations to you both as parents and to your daughter!!

Seems like you need to work on your treachery.

My dad was notorious for slipping a six pack into the backpacks of younger cousins/friends/nieces/nephews that he took hiking with him.

My uncle inadvertently packed one up longs peak.

I'm not too far off from that type of epiphany with my oldest son. If he keeps growing, I'll have to resort to treachery to keep him from stealing my lunch money.

Threatened to shoot my son in the foot a couple years ago in Idaho. Thought I was doing great going up a hill until I looked up and saw him at the top waiting on me. Very proud of him and discussed with myself at the same time.

I remember sophomore year in high school dad came to pick me up after summer workouts. We ended up doing a few sets of bench, and while trying to keep up with me he hurt his shoulder to the point that it probably added some tear in an already torn rotator cuff.
So be pick your challenges carefully.

Back