My chance of a lifetime

I just turned 65 last month. When I was much younger (teens, early 20's) I used to hunt waterfowl, upland birds, and went on a couple of deer hunts. Went in the USAF, got married and in general life got in the way so I haven't gone hunting (other than occasional upland birds) since then. I've always had the intention of going back to deer hunting, so I purchased a 30-06 rifle for when that time would come, but just too many assignments, moves, kids, school, etc. to be able to do it.

I now have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go on an elk hunt next year in western Colorado. I'm set as far as a rifle goes, but in terms of field gear the world is a completely new one to me. So my objective here is to learn what people are using (packs, binoculars, spotting scopes, clothing, basic equipment, etc.). I've been an avid camper, and wife and I are now full-timing in our RV (2020 Riverstone 39FK). I went through USAF Survival School (seems like it was 100 years ago) so have a basic knowledge of living in the outdoors. I've started on a workout routine as I'm not physically prepared for the altitude, but also I'll be getting my shoulder repaired (torn bicep tendon, rotator cuff, and labrum) in December. This will be my only chance to get to do this, so I'm prioritizing my next 12 months to that end. I am not going to miss this opportunity.

We spend our time between SW Florida and N. Georgia (currently in Blairsville, GA on Lake Nottely).

- Jim

Having just had that exact surgery at 33 years old it took a year and a half for me to heal. If I where you I would do the elk hunt then have the surgery. The rehab is no joke and it the most painful thing I have ever done.

Gear anything from kuiu and sitka is super durable and make sure you have rain gear or gaiters for snow.

Having just had that exact surgery at 33 years old it took a year and a half for me to heal. If I where you I would do the elk hunt then have the surgery. The rehab is no joke and it the most painful thing I have ever done.

Gear anything from kuiu and sitka is super durable and make sure you have rain gear or gaiters for snow.

I know what you mean. I had a bicep tenodesis done on the right shoulder 13 years ago. From surgery to fully recovered - including 8 weeks of my arm totally "velcroed" in place while the tendon re-attached to the humerus - was 6 months. I remember the PT being brutal, but I really committed to it, and by the 5 month period I was hitting golf balls again. I know the rehab is going to be tougher this time around - because I'm 13 years older, and more significantly I'm now in my mid-60's but I really cannot hold off on the surgery. I'll push on my recovery right up to the end, then make my go/no-go decision in late August. I'm going to do all that I can to make this trip, but if it's not meant to be, then it'll be decided for me. I just need to keep my head in the game the whole time I'm rehabbing.

I know what you mean. I had a bicep tenodesis done on the right shoulder 13 years ago. From surgery to fully recovered - including 8 weeks of my arm totally "velcroed" in place while the tendon re-attached to the humerus - was 6 months. I remember the PT being brutal, but I really committed to it, and by the 5 month period I was hitting golf balls again. I know the rehab is going to be tougher this time around - because I'm 13 years older, and more significantly I'm now in my mid-60's but I really cannot hold off on the surgery. I'll push on my recovery right up to the end, then make my go/no-go decision in late August. I'm going to do all that I can to make this trip, but if it's not meant to be, then it'll be decided for me. I just need to keep my head in the game the whole time I'm rehabbing.

Just remember Colorado and Wyoming both have some awesome late season rifle elk tags that are easy to get that allow you to hunt into November if you need more recovery time.

Just remember Colorado and Wyoming both have some awesome late season rifle elk tags that are easy to get that allow you to hunt into November if you need more recovery time.

That's a GREAT idea! Especially since it's just a couple of guys from work, so it's not like we're going on a guided hunt with reservations, etc. Thanks.

Back