My beautiful customized Henry Classic Lever Gun in 45-70

A207X2

When I first ordered my Henry Side Gate Classic in 45-70, I went into with the intention of having my gunsmith make some customization on it to make it MY PERFECT RIFLE. The work I had done was:

1. Install a Terminator Muzzle Brake
2. Move the front sight to accommodate the muzzle brake, and install a new brass front sight.
3. Install the Skinner Brass Peep rear sight, and install Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24 Firedot reticle with Talley Quick Release rings.
4. Remove the semi-buckhorn rear sight.
5. Remove a top screw that was cross-threaded from the factory.

Here are the results:
This shows the overall rifle:

Here's a good look at the Skinner Peep Sight, and the Leupold scope with the Talley Quick Release Rings

Here's the muzzle brake and the new brass front sight:

It's perfect.

I just finished "upgrading" my Springfield 1903A3 to QD rings and rail. Still waiting on the rear sight to come in the mail. I had the option of buying a quick detach rear peep/ghost ring from New England Custom Gun but decided my old eyes would have trouble with it so I bought a used (like new) fully adjustable leaf sight to mount on the barrel. It's off a pre-64 Model 70. Anyway ... have you shot the iron sights yet? The front sight does look a bit low to me.

I might suggest switching the QD levers to the right side. Two reasons. First, if you ever happen to drop the gun, those levers are totally exposed on the left side and vulnerable to be broken off. Levers mounted on the right side are protected somewhat by elevation turret. Second, think about how you might remove the scope in the field. The way the levers are mounted now you'll likeky have to switch hands to do it. Left hand is typically on the fore end which is where it usually is when a right handed person is loading, unloading, etc. Makes sense to keep your left hand there when removing the scope. Balancing and securing the rifle with right hand at the pistol grip would likely be awkward. Personally, because I am right handed, I prefer to do things right handed if I can. If you do decide to move the levers to the right, adjust them so they are pointed at the turret where they're out of the way and less likely to snag on things.

I bought Warne rings. They come highly recommended and a lot cheaper than Telley. Thank gawd you didn't go with Weaver QD rings. They're dirt cheap but horror stories abound on the net. One thing anyone who is thinking of making this change needs to keep in mind is each manufacturer has radically different ideas about what constitutes low, medium, and high scope rings. Finding which elevation works best on any given gun can be tricky. I figured it out mathematically but it took a while. Fortunately, I got it right. The new rings were a perfect fit. Once I got the eye relief adjusted the crosshairs pop into full view the second my rifle is mounted. Also, I suggest steel rail over aluminum rail. Aluminum might be less likely to stand up to rings being pulled off and on all the time. Looks like your rail is bronze? That's probably tough enough.

Very nice looking rifle. What's it weigh?

Edit: The Warne rings are nice and quick to change out. However, they are a bit of a puzzle to assemble and the instructions are funky. There's a trick to putting them on that is not fully explained. Yes, tighten the top screws first but then what? Easy to finish it up wrong and the rings are not detachable. Ask me how I know ...
20220210_231856.jpg

Last edited:
I'm left-handed, so they don't get into my line of sight. The top rail is solid brass.
Then that lever arrangement works best for you for sure. The levers would never be in the line of sight on either side. Brass is less obtrusive with Henry's brass look receivers. Not as hard as steel but hard enough I'm sure. Have you shot it yet?

I shot it before I had the modifications done by my gunsmith. I just got it back so haven't had a chance to get out to the range. I have the same muzzle brake on my Browning BAR 30-06 and it calmed it down to little more than a .22. Amazing brakes.

I've also got a Henry Big Boy Brass .44 Magnum inbound from a dealer. I'll only put the Skinner Peep sights on it as I'm only intending to shoot it no further than 100 yards or so. I'll also put a Large Loop Lever on it as well and remove the buckhorn sights.

I shot it before I had the modifications done by my gunsmith. I just got it back so haven't had a chance to get out to the range. I have the same muzzle brake on my Browning BAR 30-06 and it calmed it down to little more than a .22. Amazing brakes.

I've also got a Henry Big Boy Brass .44 Magnum inbound from a dealer. I'll only put the Skinner Peep sights on it as I'm only intending to shoot it no further than 100 yards or so. I'll also put a Large Loop Lever on it as well and remove the buckhorn sights.
Have you popped the scope off to see how the iron sights line up? Did the gunsmith bore sight the iron sights? How far do you plan on shooting 45-70?

Welcome to the 21st century. Looks like a good one.

Put a dovetail blank in that hole on your barrel. It will save a finger some day.
Funny you should say that... I've got two on order from Skinner. One for this rifle and one for the .44 Magnum that I've got arriving tomorrow.

Beautiful! I bought a Henry Big Boy in .45-70 myself, no customizations (yet) though. Just got some ammo for it so i'm excited to go shoot it.

I have not had a chance to get out to the range to shoot it yet. No, I'll sight it in. I don't plan on shooting it more than 150 yards.
You mentioned that you would be shooting Buffalo Bore ammunition in your other thread about this gun. I would suggest you don’t do that, it isn’t necessary. There isn’t an animal in North America that will stop a standard 45-70 load with a 405 grain bullet, all the Buffalo Bore bullet will do, is hit the ground harder on the other side.

Back