My 2022 Iowa season.

duckhunt

First time out on the ice was yesterday January 16. I fished fisher lake with absolutely no bites. Headed to a small interstate lake north of cedarfalls and again no bites. That's not a very good start for the season.

I went to union grove this morning. I've only fished it once during the summer about 18 years ago. Kept 4 fish and lost 4 others. Also missed alot of bites. I'm really looking forward to open season there.

Attachments

• 20220117_130725.jpg
    20220117_130725.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
I went to union grove this morning. I've only fished it once during the summer about 18 years ago. Kept 4 fish and lost 4 others. Also missed alot of bites. I'm really looking forward to open season there.
Went out this morning. Met lots of cars at all the spots I was thinking. Ended up catching 3 bluegills and a bass in an hour. No keepers.

20220123_154536.jpg

Tried a new recipe last night that I found on an ice fishing forum.. Bread the fish filets with Louisiana seasoned fish batter then lay them out on a cookie sheet and brush on Frank's original hot sauce. After that another coating of breading then into the fryer. Turned out really good with only a little heat to it. I would like a little more heat.. Also had to have some midwest staples for side dishes, a little mac & cheese and mozzarella sticks with ranch dressing.

20220124_153735.jpg

View attachment 209967

Tried a new recipe last night that I found on an ice fishing forum.. Bread the fish filets with Louisiana seasoned fish batter then lay them out on a cookie sheet and brush on Frank's original hot sauce. After that another coating of breading then into the fryer. Turned out really good with only a little heat to it. I would like a little more heat.. Also had to have some midwest staples for side dishes, a little mac & cheese and mozzarella sticks with ranch dressing.

View attachment 209969
Sounds delicious!

Haven't had much to report lately. Only made it on the ice one other time since my last post with only one bite in a couple hours. I will say this has been the absolute worst ice fishing season I've ever had. We are going to a wild game feed in Seneca this weekend wich is close to the cabin. I might as well drag the boat up with me and give open water a try for some walleyes.

I've also been thinking about turkey season and have been seeing birds feeding in the fields on my way home from work. I will be very busy next week but I'm hoping to get some scouting in after that.

I have also put in for a couple tags out west. Got a Wyoming antelope app in with a couple friends that I'm pretty sure we will not draw. They forgot to buy their points last year or I think we would have a good chance to draw. I also put in for a Colorado cow elk muzzleloader tag. According to gohunt it's 100% odds so I have high hopes for that. I'm a little nervous about that one. First thing is I've never hunted elk. I have no idea what I'm doing. Also I'm probably doing it solo wich means pack out in a timely manner by my self if I shoot one. To be honest I doubt I kill an elk just because again I have no idea how to hunt elk.

If I do draw the tag I ll talk more about the area I'm going. I am excited about the camping involved with that tag. So far I've only been on antelope hunts so we always just stayed in a hotel. With this tag I'm going to camp at trail heads. I do have some equipment from camping with the wife and kids years ago but need to upgrade some stuff. Hopefully it's an interesting fall.

I might as well drag the boat up with me and give open water a try for some walleyes.
there hasn’t been as many people fishing this week with the lovely weather but before that there had been tons of boats at the lock. The perch are starting to turn on! Good luck!

Fishing on Friday SUCKED. The wind was unbelievable with boat control. The wind blew all weekend so that's all I did for Fishing. Went to a wild game feed Saturday night that was awsome until I bit into a big piece of fat eating venison and noodles. That completely ruined it for me. I don't care if it's beef, pork, or wild game. Chewing on fat turns my stomach. The weather in Iowa has been a pain lately. I know it's early but nice then cold and windy, repeat, repeat, repeat. Hopefully April weather gets me back outside.

Well I haven't done to much lately. Got a new trolling motor for the small boat.
20220515_121851.jpg
Took it to a small local lake for crappies and only caught 1 small fish.
20220516_145432.jpg
Over memorial weekend we fished the high Mississippi River off the dam at lynxville and got a few keeper gills.
20220530_102631.jpg

Finally applied for my first elk tag and scored. Got a muzzleloader cow tag for unit 21 colorado. Reading through the regs I guess that is valid for units 21 22 30 31 and 32. I guess I better start working out again. Already started going through gear and e scouting. Also ordered open sights for the muzzy.

I had alot going on last week so I ll start my vacation recap today.
Started fishing Saturday evening off the wall at lynxville dam. The wife and I got just a few bluegills.
20220618_182148.jpg

On Sunday morning we took the boat around the lansing area looking for gills and didn't get a bite all morning. Around 11 30 I got a call from my parents that they got on a bit of a walleye bite. We had other plans for the afternoon so no fish for us on Sunday.

On Tuesday I did a little scouting on public land by lansing but I forgot my bug spray. That was a short scouting trip.

Wendsday I decided to do a little trout fishing. I stopped at big paint in yellow river state forest but that was running like chocolate milk. Next stop was little paint right in the campground. Ended with 4 for the freezer. One was small but I damaged his gills pulling the hook out so he went on the stringer.

20220623_081844.jpg

Back