My 2022 Iowa season.

Day 2 I decided to head across the road from camp and check out a few spots not far that I marked on my onx. Got my first lesson on thermals in a hurry that morning. Seeking around in this stuff trying to get to my glassing spot.

20220911_080727.jpg

As I got closer to where I wanted to be is when I noticed the wind not cooperating at all. Holy crap that can mess with a guy bad. Everytime I tried to approach a glassing area the wind would change. Dam that wind sucks, good one minute then completely switch the next.

Here's a view of some of the area I was trying to glass.

20220911_083142.jpg

After that I headed to a trail on the opposite side of the road from there. Wandered through this campsite to see that somebody must have cut up an animal here at some point.

20220911_085244.jpg

It looks like nobody has been on this trail for awhile so that is a plus. A little over a mile down the trail I come to a big sage opening that I thought an elk would possibly feed in. I went further down the trail and looked at my onx but didn't find anything I was excited about.

I headed back to camp for lunch and a break from the midday heat. After loafing around camp for a few hours I headed back to the sage meadow for an evening hunt wich ended with no elk seen but saw a beautiful sunset.

20220911_191955.jpg

Earlier in the day I caught a glimpse of a black bear that I spooked as I was walking down the trail. That added a little excitement to my day.

After 2 days of not seeing or hearing anything I decide to make a move about an hour south. This is where my hunt takes a turn for the worse. I wake up at midnight with severe pain in my hip. I get out of the tent to try and walk it off. Well that's not helping so I climb back in the tent hoping to try and sleep it off. After about 2 hours of tossing and turning I can't take it anymore and try to lay in the back seat of the truck with more cushion. After an hour of trying that I have had enough.

Approximately 3 30 in the morning I want some ibuprofen and a real bed so I hobble around camp and basically collapse the tent and throw everything in the truck. There was absolutely no packing or organization to any of this and to be honest I did not care. I drive down to rifle and get ibuprofen and check into a hotel.

After about a 3 hour nap and continental breakfast ( 2 big plates of biscuits and gravy ) my hip was feeling better but not great by any means. I decided to go out and do some scouting and learn the new area a bit. I pretty much learned the roads and did some glassing from the truck most of the day. Around 3 in the afternoon my brakes started making some noise. I put new brakes and rotors on before the trip so I thought what the hell is this. After hitting the highway to get back to town the noise went away so I'm figuring it was just dirt and crap in the brakes.

At this point I call my wife to give her an update and she is not feeling good about this at all. In the back of my mind I'm thinking I can't really hunt except from the truck, if I shoot an elk I can't pack it out even close to the truck, and also if I brake down or have a flat tire I can't really help myself. That's when I made the decision to start heading for home.

It was pretty upsetting because I was having the time of my life but I think I made the right decision. After a few more days and alot of ibuprofen I was back to normal for the most part. I have a couple antelope tags I'm applying for in 2023 but I'm already trying to get an elk hunt planned for the following year.

Lessons I learned on my first elk.

Going solo has its pros and cons. I can do what I want, where I want, and how I want.
The downside is it's a long drive there and back. Help with setting up camp, cooking, etc would be nice.

As far as camp there are many adjustments I can make. I borrowed that tent from my son so I will definitely be getting a bigger tent. A folding table would be great instead of trying to do everything on the trucks tailgate. A cushion for the cot is a must. I'm pretty confident that's why my hip hurt so bad. Organization of camp supplies could also use some work. I had everything in one cooler and one big tote. Everytime I needed something I had to dig around to find it.

Before my next trip I'm going to figure out camp and do a practice run before heading west.

Scouting before season with boots on the ground is a must. Still have alot to learn with the wind. That shit just plane sucks. Blows up down side to side front to back all at the same time.

Hopefully I can make a western hunt every year from here on out. I hope to learn something new Everytime.

I made it over to the big river over the weekend. Saturday I took the wife to the apple orchards and pie depot by guys mills wich is a yearly thing she likes to do. This morning I searched for the bluegills and found the mother load of small fish. Ended with 7 keepers and 50 + small fish. At the beginning of the week dad and my cousin did really good.

Resized952022092695200409956579.jpg

Resized952022092795194448959957.jpg

Quick update on day 1 muzzy season. Connor shot a small buck an hour in the morning hunt. Devon shot a doe about an hour into the afternoon hunt. On this property there was a house that burned down that was never rebuilt. Devon shoots the doe and that dang doe ran right into the old basement and died.
The deer is down there with Devon.

20221015_174814.jpg

I ll give a better recap later in the hunt.

Just had a waffle and homemade bacon for breakfast. My 69 year old dad decided to sleep in this morning. In all my life I believe this is the first time he has slept in during muzzy season. That's ok with me. I'm flying solo this morning so it's time to gear up and head out.

Just had a waffle and homemade bacon for breakfast. My 69 year old dad decided to sleep in this morning. In all my life I believe this is the first time he has slept in during muzzy season. That's ok with me. I'm flying solo this morning so it's time to gear up and head out.
Good luck! Are you around home or are you up North for the muzzleloader season?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back